• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Weld Options

icemanup

Loc.
Ripley WV
Hey guys I'm getting ready to start replacing the floors in my 72 and was wondering what is the best way to weld them in. I'm also gonna be replacing the rear wheel tubs along with the filler tube panels as well. I was looking at a spot welder from eastwood part#19089, looks like it might be the way to go, any one here have one or ever used one. I have a mig but I also have access to to an ARC. Any input or suggestions. I am not a welding pro, just a novice.
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Iceman

bax

Contributor
Old Member
spot welders are good but most of the welds you wont be able to do with a spot welder. Sure spot welding around the edges but not in the middle of a floor panel. Plug welding with a mig or tig works good. Stick welders are out of the picture, not good for thin panels.

bax

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Bax is right on. A tig would not be a bad choice, but is more expensive and takes a bit more knowlegde to use. A mig either with gas or with flux-core wire would be your best option. A 110 unit can be purchased in the $400 range that will work well and be capable of doing quite a bit. I hate to not go into more detail, since it sounds like you are very new to this, but I just got back from a w/e in NYc and am tired. Do a search on here using the search function (above) concerning MIG welding and MIG welders...you will find goo advice on technique, brands/models, usage, etc. A spot welder will just not do everything that you will need to do. A strictly flux-core MIG unit might be OK, but a gas capable MIG unit will provide cleaner welds and better control on thiin metal. When you go to thicker metal, you can switch the polarity, run flux-core wire and take on heavier jobs. Good luck....oh yeah, this is another one of those "Bronco Investments", so buy the best machine (name brand) you can afford or find a slightly used....I wouldnt trust one of the cheapo $200-250 units. Again, goof luck.

John