• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Beware what anti-seize you use!

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
I was talking with one of the metalurest and was asking, what Loctite anti-seize would be best with Aluminum heads. I was trying to decern the difference between the copper and silver. She said don't use the copper as it will cause the aluminum oxidize. She thought the one that is for stainless might be alright, but felt the anti sieze with no metal in it would be best. I am going to see if I can get more information from Loctite.

Cheers
Martin

broncomaster

Loc.
Edgewood,Wa
I have always used the silver. We use the silver at work on the 747 mill fixtures and never seen any corrosion. I have seen a problem where steel bolts reside in aluminum. That is if the antiseize is not used. The silver antiseize helps get those bolts out after time has taken its toll. They do make a white teflon based product that might work well but, I don't think it will stay around on the exhaust header bolts.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I second the silver anti sieze. I've used the flepro brand on my alumiun heads with no problems yet 10 years and counting. But its true you really never should mix metals it causes reactions between the 2 metals. take radiators for instance aluminum radiators tend to corrode quickly because of the reaction between iron and alunimum. thats why a lot of people run zinc anodes in there aluminum radiators because the zinc will more or less pull the electrons that cause corrossion towards it before the the aluminum will.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...They do make a white teflon based product that might work well but, I don't think it will stay around on the exhaust header bolts.

My brother made me aware of a high-temp, teflon based grease that is pretty amazing stuff. They use it where the other anti-seize just turns to liquid and flows out due to the high temperatures encountered on their cartridge heaters for extruders. They also use them on and around the dies...good stuff, but not cheap. I'll see if I can get a brand and some specs on it. :cool:

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Here at work, where we assemble Aluminum (6061 and 7075) parts with 316 stainless fasteners, to be deployed in seawater, we use a product called Never-Seez (blue moly) made by Bostik.

BamaBronc

Loc.
Alabama
Many years ago in the Air Force, we used a graphite based anti-seize on bolts exposed to high temps such as brake assy's on the aircraft. I wonder if it would have an ill effect on aluminum.