• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BFG AT KO2's

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
76 Bronco specs:
pwr steering
disc brakes
twin stick t-case
Detroit Tru-Trac in rear
open front
2.5" WH lift
TRO and riser for tracbar
I'v been wanting to try these new BFG AT KO2's in the snow, havn't had the chance until this past wkend, we got some snow here so we headed up the Tellico, which is about 35 mins from my house, to find a little more. I'm gonna need new tires for my 76 soon but was undecided what to get. I put a set of new BFG AT KO2's on my 74 Ranger, I really like how they ride and handle on my 74 but didn't know how well they would perform in the snow because my 74 will never see salty roads . I swapped the new AT's on my 76 to see how they would do. I can say the new AT's are a much better tire all around than the old version, I never did like the old style in the snow. These new AT's really impressed me, the type of snow we get down here is wet and ends up being mostly ice after its driven on, so traction is not the best, but these new AT's really gripped well even on packed snow/ice, and in actual snow its really amazing how good they do. I never even aired down, 28 psi front and 26 rear, this gave me a good tread pattern even with the stiff sidewall. I have to say there were only 2 place I even engaged the front diff both were on steep hills that I stopped on, and I could have gone on up in 2 wheel had I got in fresh snow.
The ride is much better and quieter, also these are a 235x85x16 E-rated. I like these tires with a susp lift, it really takes out a lot of body roll and handles better. 2 things help with this, 1: its E-rated and 2: its a 16" wheel which has less sidewall to flex compared to the 15's I normally run, as for being rough/stiff over bumps, I couldn't tell any diff in the ride between these E-rated and the 33x10.50x15 that I usually run, the susp seems to soak it up. I know these are not the same size but its all I have to compare the 2, it would been a little better had I had a set of 265x75x16 E's which would be closer the width of the 10.50, as for the height, there is very little diff between the 33x10.50x15, 235x85x16, and the 265x75x16, I know the spec charts show the 33 about 1" taller but when placed side by side mounted on 15x7 and 16x7 wheels there is very little diff. I wish I wouldv had a set of Goodyear Duratracs to test along side of the BFG's, I'v herd good things about these also, maybe soon.

Attachments

• DSC01187.jpg
    DSC01187.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC01177.jpg
    DSC01177.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC01186.jpg
    DSC01186.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 156

Mikel C

Loc.
Tuscaloosa, AL.
I love the look of your rig. The suspension setup, color, tire selection, and bumpers all work together very well, IMO.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I really want a set for my new to me 2005 tundra double cab, but am torn between a grand on new tires and just replacing the two bald ones for $200.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I just replaced my old 265-75-16 tires with 33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires. Even though the 33s spec at about an inch taller, the axle height didn't change near that much. These have more sidewall bulge than the 265-75-16s had.
My speedo is still correct too.

Attachments

• IMG_20161226_132908884_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161226_132908884_HDR.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 136

House

Minutia Militia
I have been driving my Super Duty for 1.5 weeks with the hubs locked in now switching between 2 and 4wd in 4-16" of every type of snow imaginable. Dry, fluffy,
wet, slushy, frozen over, rained on, etc. Must say I am still impressed with the KO2's!

Germd

Surfer,
Great looking rig! Narrower tires seems to generally do better in snow, plus lives more room for chains if needed.
I bet Tellico was gorgeous with the snow!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Surfer,
Great looking rig! Narrower tires seems to generally do better in snow, plus lives more room for chains if needed.

We had a snow run on Jan 1. The K02s worked great. I brought chains along for backup but never needed them.

Attachments

• IMG_20170101_155553942_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170101_155553942_HDR.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
surfer-b

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I love the look of your rig. The suspension setup, color, tire selection, and bumpers all work together very well, IMO.

Thanks, I believe I'm gonna go with 265/75/16's for this Bronco, these belong on my Ranger, I think I will go just a little bit wider.

I just replaced my old 265-75-16 tires with 33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires

blu, the 265's you replaced, were those the E-rated or the C's, could you tell any diff in the handling of your Bronco between the 265's and the 33's? Your Bronco looks good, like the stance of it.

Surfer,

yeah I like the narrower tires in this part of the country but out west, in the deep stuff, I would say those Guys like the wider tires to help keep them on top. Yes Tellico was beautiful, pics don't do it justice.

We had a snow run on Jan 1. The K02s worked great. I brought chains along for backup but never needed them.

Im impressed with them to say the least. Hope we get more snow this yr, just wish they would quit throwing out the salt

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always get 10ply. They will last double as long. Not as soft, so grip isn't as good, but I would rather have a tire wear better.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
blu, the 265's you replaced, were those the E-rated or the C's, could you tell any diff in the handling of your Bronco between the 265's and the 33's? Your Bronco looks good, like the stance of it.

They were "E" rated and on steel wheels.
They were just too darned heavy. The performance difference was obvious.

The ride is softer for sure. Handling is as good. The tires are up to my suspension's capabilities.

The last set of tires still had good tread after 13 years, so tire wear isn't an issue. After 10 years my tire shop wouldn't fix leaks anymore.

OP
OP
surfer-b

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like the Tru-Trac in the rear worked good. How did you like it?

No complaints, don't even notice its back there unless stop an start on off camber hill with ice or really slick stuff, but that's with any limited slip or locker. No way I would return to the factory trac-lock with clutches. Been runnin for some time with no probs and I drive this Bronco everyday, at one time I thought I had a vibration prob with it, but it turned out to be bad D-shaft, 2 of them to be exact.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the great report! My next set of tires are going to be KO2s.

Todd Z.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have always loved BFG's A/T.

One of the best tire lines ever produced in my opinion.

Sounds like the KO's are following that tradition. They are on my list.

Nothing Special

I've had BFG K/O2 on my '97 F-250 crew cab for about a year now (235/85-16, load range E). Personally I don't like them quite as much as the old K/O. The new tires seem to pull from side to side more (following grooves in the pavement?). And for my pickup I don't like the looks of the heavy tread on the sidewall (where my truck will never use it). But I really liked the K/O and the K/O2 isn't enough worse that I'm sorry I got them.

As far as running load range E tires on a Bronco, I used to have them on a CJ5 (BFG MT), and I've run them on an F-150 (BFG MT and AT K/O). On the light Jeep I didn't like them. Too stiff off-road (rough ride and wouldn't wrap around rocks very well, even aired down to about 12 psi) and a little harsh on pavement seams on the road. I'll stick with load range C on my Bronco.

On my F-150 I liked the Es. Still a little harsh on pavement seams when empty, but a lot more predictable when the truck was (over)loaded (sometimes it carried a slide-in camper). And since that truck didn't go off-road airing down wasn't an issue.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I have the At/KO2 on my F250 as well as my bronco and love them. As surfer-b said, the way they handle the snow, loose or packed has been phenomenal. I like them so much they are my #1 recommendation to my customers rides to boot.