• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BFG ATs or KM2s

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I know this question gets asked about a millions times a year but I kind of like to read people opinions and hear a little wisdom...

I have owned BFG ATs... several sets over the years and always liked them. I have a set on my daughters FJ Cruiser right now and they are awesome for mild offroad and were unreal in the snow last year. However they are much smaller than what I would put on the Bronco so I cant get a good feel for how loud they would be compared to the KM2s.

I had a set of the old BFG MTs years ago and really liked them but they did roar some when they got a few miles on them. I really like the look of the KM2s and it is obvious they would be better offroad. BUT... I am not sure how much more offroading I will ever do... Years ago I used to like to beat up my trucks but I will be 50 soon and it just doesnt appeal to me like it used to... to old and mellow now I guess. I still like the look of the mud tires and if that was my only reason for buying then hands down the KM2s would be my next tire.

I have enjoyed driving the Bronco this summer as a pleasure vehicle... sunny day cruises, trips to the lake and a few to the river for fly fishing.... just enjoying the Bronco and not so much offroading. I have driven it more this summer than the last 5 combined... The only thing I dislike about my truck right now is the freaking tire noise... Cant talk to the person right beside you and if someone is in the back seat they might as well be in another car...

All that... and my simple question is this... are the KM2s much louder than the ATs? If it is only minimal I might just go with the KM2s... if it is a lot then I may lean to the ATs...

I thought about just buying a set of steel wheels and putting these noisy Pro Comps on them for those times I wanted to go wheeling and mount the ATs to the centerline wheels I have one it now. I just wonder if I would even take the time to swap...

Sorry to be so long....

Greg

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I had the same question a while back when I was shipped the KM2's instead of the AT's. I was going down the highway at about 60-65 (flat footed with this I6) and next to the lane barrier and I didn't hear ANY road noise:eek: Of course with the 260 model A/C going I may not have been able to heat the tires%)

Jim W.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
We have them on the wife's Jeep. I don't notice them being louder than the ATs we had previously. Then again, with the soft top, I can't hear anything at highway speeds.

ren71

The KM2s are a lot quieter than the old bfg MTs and not much louder than the ATs imo.

77-302

Loc.
Canton, MI
The KM2s are a lot quieter than the old bfg MTs and not much louder than the ATs imo.

I to did research on this topic and pulled the trigger on the KM2's. Haven't tried them yet as I'm working on other mods but of those I spoke to the KM2 is one of the quietest mud tires. Compared to toyo, Mickey Thompson, procomp, Goodyear etc.....

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
KM2's just isnt right to have big AT's on a bronco. Although its does seem like my new KM2's are louder than my old MT's but then again they are 2in wider so that may account for the increase. but the noise is not bad.

69 Fl. Bronc

KM2's just isnt right to have big AT's on a bronco. Although its does seem like my new KM2's are louder than my old MT's but then again they are 2in wider so that may account for the increase. but the noise is not bad.

X2. I have bfg ats on mine. 35s. They are ok but look weak compared to mts. Next time,mts.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I had 37" KM2s and they drove nice and semi quiet. Much smoother than my 35" BFG MTs I used to have on my old 83 CJ7. Now I have skinny 33" KM2s on my 76 EB and I wouldn't trade them for mothing! They are kinda quiet, smooth and they have the mud-tire look I wanted. Just need to put some mud on them now that hunting season is approaching!