• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BFG Mud-Terrain KM2 or Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials

MartyG

Bronco Guru
Time to replace my tires (two are leaking)
Anyone have thoughts on tread wear? Mine is mostly street, daily driver.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You have picked well. I and many others have put many miles on both of them.
Best case with the BFG's was 60 k+ on a Tahoe. 16" 35's. Yea, I wore them all the way down.
Best case with the MTZ's was 40 k+ on an F-250. 16" 38.5's. Sold them with over half of their tread.

Off road the MTZ's edged out the BFG's. MTZ' were phenomenal in the mud. BFG's were stellar performers in the sand.
Both were pretty quiet on the road for a mud tire. But the BFG's were quiter.
Both handled great on the road but the BFG's are really good at not hydro planing, not that the MTZ's were bad at it just the BFG's would not seem to hydro plane at all.....

I really like the knarly look and side biters on the MTZ's. Since the BFG's and MTZ's are so similar in performance the MTZ's would be my choice Bro.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I don't think you'd go wrong with either. I'd probably lean towards the BFGs myself.. That'll help your pocketbook a "little" too :)

OP
OP
MartyG

MartyG

Bronco Guru
Excellent, thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the MT MTZs...can get a set of four for about the same as the BFG MT...about a 1K installed. Expensive rubber.

Last question, I have a spare with 0 tread wear but a crack in the side wall.
I found a 35" tube on ebay...would that be alright to use?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
why mud terrains when d.d. and mostly street driving? have you thought about all terrains (AT) instead of mud tires (MT?) if so, they are smoother and quieter. my favorite ATs are Michelin LTX AT2s.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I have slways bought BFG'S.....One a Big Bronko I got 60 K...Unbelievable tires...That Said...I just Bought TOYO OPEN COUNTRY TIRES...I HAVE NEVER HAD SUCH A SMOTH RIDE AS THESE....OUTSTANDING...

OP
OP
MartyG

MartyG

Bronco Guru
Well...just bought the MT MTZs.
Thanks for all the input I post a pic once they're on

Sent from my big-ass modified 80's brick phone using Tapatalk 2

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Well...just bought the MT MTZs.
Thanks for all the input I post a pic once they're on

Sent from my big-ass modified 80's brick phone using Tapatalk 2

You have made a wise choice Grasshopper.
Stay thirsty my friend.
Lol

OP
OP
MartyG

MartyG

Bronco Guru
By the way, just took it to my local car wash (for the first time ever) to have the wheels done in anticipation of it's new shoes tomorrow...man, looks awesome.
That was $50. well spent; beats working on it with "Mothers" for 3 hours. They tossed in a free car wash. Jeez, they do a way better job than I do...and I get that pina colada smell! ;)
Can't wait for the new rubber.