• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big Block, and Deisel talk, formally know as .....Power Brakes with 351W or 351C

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Re:power Brakes with 351W or 351C

There is a picture on the bottom of this page with a power booster set-up on an EB with a 351C.
Also there is some pictures of other issues with a 351C EB.

Click here.....................

Madgyver

Bronco Madman

As soon as I do my 351C swap I post more pics...

Dusty

Bronco Guru

Hey thanks for the page link. It was interesting seeing what other folks have done with the Cleveland. We put a 4V 351C in my brother's EB about five years ago and had a hell of a time with the headers (made our own). Its still going strong and it runs like a raped ape. Don't believe what the naysayers say about using a Cleveland in a trail rig. My bro spec'd the right cam and dialed in his holley (a holley!) nicely for trail work, even in the rocks with 4:88 gears and a c4/D20. Desrtthrasher maybe we'll see you out there sometime and you guys can race for pinks!

Dusty

OP
OP
TexasBronco

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI

[quote author=Dusty link=board=5;threadid=15106;start=0#msg114984 date=1047610017]
Hey thanks for the page link. It was interesting seeing what other folks have done with the Cleveland. We put a 4V 351C in my brother's EB about five years ago and had a hell of a time with the headers (made our own). Its still going strong and it runs like a raped ape. Don't believe what the naysayers say about using a Cleveland in a trail rig. My bro spec'd the right cam and dialed in his holley (a holley!) nicely for trail work, even in the rocks with 4:88 gears and a c4/D20. Desrtthrasher maybe we'll see you out there sometime and you guys can race for pinks!

Dusty
[/quote]

well i didn't install mine I got it that way, the headers are stock.....which cause the exhause on one side to touch the frame. It is the 2v with a 2 bbl carb. The PO said that this setup was good for low end, but i plane to rebuild it next fall. and a raped ape? I have to remember to use that in my Auto Tech class

OP
OP
TexasBronco

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI

My oil pan is different then the one shown on that site, plus it appears to have been chopped.....there is a seam of weld going all the way around yet it still took 6 bottle of oil......is that normal for an engine that size?

OP
OP
TexasBronco

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Re:power Brakes with 351W or 351C...change of topic.

Hey when it sez Custom made headers, did the muffler shop make them or what? Cause as of right the stock headers are on and this causes the exhause on the passengers side to touchthe frame. SOOOOOOOOOO i need a set of those to clear the frame.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru

[quote author=Dusty link=board=5;threadid=15106;start=0#msg114984 date=1047610017]
Desrtthrasher maybe we'll see you out there sometime and you guys can race for pinks!

Dusty
[/quote]

I dont kno bout for pinks, I wouldnt mind another bronco tho ;) But Im down for racing anytime. ;D ;D ;D
Hey Dusty, I plan on goin out to Los Coyotes on April 18th weekend, easter i think? My 4x4 club is doing a pre-run of it, if you or anyone else is gonna be out there let me kno.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _

Dusty
[/quote]

I'm restraining myself from putting my Cleveland in place of a very fresh 302. I don't believe all of the thinking that normally follows the 351C. Mine had gobs of low end. And here's one that will probably get everyone sending me hate replies; I'd like to build a 400 and maybe drop in an EB. 400? Hell yes! Figure this: the 400 has a longer stroke than a 460 (mucho torque), can use the majority of Cleveland beef-up parts, and makes it's peak torque in the area of 4000-4500 RPMs. Perfect for a 4X4, and you don't have to spin it to the moon to get power. I know I'll hear the cat-calls of the stroked Windsors, but understand: the 400 starts out with more cubes than the 393, and can be stroked up to 440 cid with the proper amount of money, if that's what you're into. And for the price of that 393 Windsor crank, you can damned near build the complete bottom end of the 400. Motor mounts off of the late '70s trucks used a stud-type mount, so that should be compatable, the bellhousing is the only sticky point. And if you have a stick, no problem -- there should be plenty of std. tranny bells in the u-pullits, and in the mid '70s Ford used some C4s behind the 351M, so finding one of those would be a bolt-on right to your C4. Then there is the 400 "FMX" block, that Ford cast the small block bell pattern into, so that would be a direct drop-in. But it is very rare. And weight? Only 50 lbs heavier than the 351W. I've heard people gripe about the fabbing it would take, but they don't think anything of making custom suspensions and multi-point cages. What's a couple of motor mounts? I used to follow the thinking that the 400 was an old boat-anchor/truck motor. But I've done some recent research that has really opened my eyes. I'm still a Cleveland fan, but now the 400 has my full attention...... OK, it's safe to bash me now. --- Oh, and sorry this was so long and off-topic, but I just wanted to test the water.

OP
OP
TexasBronco

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI

GO FOR IT!!!! I have plans to drop a deisel engine in mine in the next few years. What a deisel? Yeah there is a 2.8 liter powerstroke deisel produced south of the border to go into there Ford Ranger extneded Cab models. Extended cab? http://www.mecanicaonline.com.br/2003/janeiro/tecnovidade/ford_ranger.html yeah I think the hardest part would be actually getting the motor across the border............... I say most ppl won't bash you here as long as you keep it ford. Of course they will put their .02cents in, but is looks like you have "done the math" and know what you are talking about.

Heres another page, this one is in english but from Africa
http://www.ford.co.za/ranger/specs_diesel.html

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _

I've seen guys a couple of times bring up the 400 here, and quickly get shot down with "boat anchor", " smog motor", "hard to install", etc. You can build a 400 with the same (or more) low end torque as a 351W stroker for less than half the price, and it will (should) last longer. I've seen a few boards dealing with the 335 series engines, and I've seen mild to moderate 400 builds yeild close to 500 ft/lbs of torque in the 4500 rpm area, and a 600 ft./lb (dropped in a Pantera), and even one at 800 horsepower! That's not a smog motor. A diesel would be mean in a Bronco -- I think the weight would be the biggest worry, but if it goes in a Ranger, weight shouldn't be a factor. I'm considering a 400 for a future car build, but I'm still gathering info.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Re:Big Block, and Deisel talk, formally know as .....Power Brakes with 351W or 3

The thing about a 400m is that it has a big block bolt pattern. You may find a small block pattern 351m in a Ranchero or so and use the 400m crank in it if you're lucky..

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Re:Big Block, and Deisel talk, formally know as .....Power Brakes with 351W or 3

The block with the small pattern is a 400; I lucked out and found one in a U-pullit a few weeks ago for $65 for the short block. I went ahead and got the heads ( the early 400 is the same as 351C 2V) for an extra $30. The only problem I have is that the block was cast at the Michigan Casting Center, the foundry that had trouble with water jacket cracks in the lifter valley until about mid-year of 1977. Other than that, it could be good to go as a drop in; and I could even bolt an AOD up behind it. Just a little leary of the cracking problem. If you use the bellhousing off of the mid-70s mid sized Fords with the 351M and C4s, you can just swap out bellhousings and bolt any 400 up to the C4. Or if it's a manual tranny, just use the std. 351M/400 bellhousing. I'd like to see what kind of results a solid 400 would produce in an early Bronco. And techinically, the 335 series engines are small blocks. Ford just made the 351M/400 with the same patterns as the 385s so they could share transmissions. T'was about time Ford tried to simplify things.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA

Madgyver, Great photos! a picture really is worth a thousand words.
CJhalfcab, I completely agree with your assessment. My first EB had a 351, and I thought it should have more power. I kept checking tune, compression, etc. and all was fine. I was comparing to my 6100 lb. 79 (400) Bronco's low rpm torque, and thought the windsor should be the same in a 5000 lb EB. My current EB with a 351 has all the same mods as my 79 with 400 (cam, alum intake, 4v carb, dual exhaust) but when they had almost identical drivelines- NP435/3.50 gears/33"EB-35" BB- the low end grunt was just not there in the lighter EB. I have a combined 95,000 miles in 5 daily drivers with 351M/400s (2 4wd p/us & 3 78/79 Broncos) and am convinced of their basic durability and -with the right mods- power. The low end torque is usable in practical driving and very handy off road. The boat anchor tale is a myth based on the factory tune smogged engine- I doubt the naysayers have ever owned a modified 400. My .02...