• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big, Urgent Decision! Need Feedback!

stxbronco72

Loc.
Corpus Christi
Sorry ahead of time for the long read!

Ok, so I just got my tub, doors, hood, fenders, etc. back from the blaster. If any of you are following my build thread, you know that I started with an unmolested '72 stocker in "ok" shape (DEFINITELY needed a lot of work) with a 170 inline 6. I was originally going back to exactly what this thing looked like when it rolled off the shop floor since it was all original to begin with, but since then, I've decided to make it my own. I will be painting it Harbour Blue (a '72 color) and probably putting in a 302. Here's where my conflict lies:

I ALSO just bought an incomplete '71 with most of the metal work done. Initially, this was gonna be a parts truck, but it is complete enough to restore into something fun. Whoever owned it before the guy I bought it from had started doing a frame off, so the frame is mostly completed (with power brakes in the back, a 302, and automatic transmission).

The frame on my '72 looks really good, it just needs a wire wheel and some Chassis Saver. However, it's all set up for my 170. I'm considering taking the body off of the 71 and just transplanting my '72 body onto the almost finished '71 frame. The only reason that this is hard for me is that I would be separating the '72 stocker. However, this would also save me a lot of money and speed up the process greatly. Any experience/feedback for a decision like this? I need to make a decision soon!

Thanks,

Justin

P.S. I'll update my build thread tonight!

Broncmeister

wow man this is almost the identical situation I was faced with. I was rebuilding a body to replace my rusted out one when I came across a steal. The guy had the frame blasted and painted, supensnsion was mounted along with axles and differentials. 289 Engine was ready to install as well as tranny and t-case. Body work was complete and body was sandblasted and mounted on the frame. 2000 bucks bought the whole deal, which included another 4 trailers full of odds and ends (dashes, seats, tops, all the small gadgets, original radios etc. just about two broncos worth of interiors and small parts)

What I decided to do was dump the rusted out body from my bronco, lift the completed body off of the one I bought and drop it onto my frame. From there on it was minor fixing up and paint. The finished product is in my gallery. Looks pretty good. Now I'm finishing that original body I was working on and it will go onto the frame that was blasted and painted and I'm going to make that one an all original stock bronco. It was the quickest method, got me back up and running in very little time, now I have time to work on the second one.

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds good to me- If it saves time and money. You'll just have a '71- not a '72.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've decided to make it my own.

There's your answer. Use the 71 frame and don't look back. Unless your doing an original restoration just let it be an early Bronco and be content with the year on the title.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Use the best of what you got then sell the other stuff when you done. Dont worry about what year you end up with. My title says mines a 68 but id argue that its really a 2011.

Best to keep the glove box vin matching the frame vin. here in minnesota nobody is gona care about the frame vin, but i have heard other states can be more picky. Might have to cut the frame vins and transplant depending where you live. And you could swap glove box doors to keep whatever title you want.

A few options but definatly use the best of the best and save some time and greif! Good luck and have fun.

OP
OP
stxbronco72

stxbronco72

Loc.
Corpus Christi
Thanks for the good feedback guys. Anyone have any experience titling in Texas in regards to whether or not my VINs need to match?

Archbronco

Contributor
Can of worms if you go to sell it out of state. Better to match the title to the frame and use that.