• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Lift Questions

spray1963

Loc.
Boca Raton,FL
Hello everyone this is my first post of what will turn into a build thread. My 16 year son and I have just bought a 73 Bronco from Utah and received it a couple of days ago. The truck has a NP-435 tranny and the PO had a 3" body lift installed to clear the new gearbox. I have never used a body lift, always suspension, my question is this....
On a Bronco body lift are all spacers supposed to be the same length?
From what I am seeing this one has three different length spacers installed. I am going to remove the body anyways but want to find out if this is right or wrong, if its wrong we'll get the correct body lift spacers when the body goes back on.
This is going to be a great father son project and I will get to relive my youth! I drove a 68 until 1989 and made the mistake of selling it, but back them there was no internet and finding parts was almost impossible. Besides this one is in much better shape than my 68 was, we have none of the rust issues that mine had.

Thanks for the help!

Scott

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Welcome to CB.com and Congrats on you and your sons new project. You guys will have a blast.

The body spacers should all be the same lenght. You shouldn't need a 3" body lift to clear a np-435, you can probably clear with a 1". I have run a 435 with no body lift but did have to cut out the floor tunnel some.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
If they are different length's the PO probably tried to level the body. Could be from rust, incorrect panel replacement etc...

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
x2 - if the body was sagging in certain locations, different size spacers would have been used to level it.

A body lift kit from one of the vendors will have eight of the same size spacers.

OP
OP
S

spray1963

Loc.
Boca Raton,FL
Thanks for the replies! if they were trying to shim the body to remove flex from what I seen they were going the wrong way. The doors are sagged a little and the short body spacers are on the four mounts in the middle of the chassis and the taller spacers are at the core and the rear of the bed. I'll just order a 2" kit and replace them all and see where I sit after that.