• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body panel replacement order questions

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
I started to replace my rockers and going to move to lower rear quarters. Screwed on the rocker and have not welded them up yet when I noticed a rusty floor board wascovered up by P.O..

My questions - should I replace the floor board first before welding in the rocker? What about the lower quarter? Does it matter what order - floor, rocker, quarter?

Appreciate any advice

Attachments

• 20171015_152007.jpg
    20171015_152007.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 164

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rocker last. Either floor or quarter first, then the other.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
What he said. And just fyi, I suggest you make sure the rocker curves to meet the curve of the fender and rear lower quarter. You can take some tin snips and cut the back flange on each end of the rocker so that you can curve the rocker some if needed. And watch that you get the bottom lined up even on both ends. Make sure you are leaving the correct gap under the door, etc.

And if your floor is currently correct regarding alignment, take a ton of pictures and measurements before you demo metal. Helps get things back aligned correctly.

I had installed both rockers during the build and was not happy with the fit. Then I saw the OEM rockers at Bronco Graveyard. I actually cut out the rockers again and installed a set of the rockers from Bronco Graveyard. Was a better quality rocker and the fit looked great.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Wow, thanks guys. Wondering if this task is above my pay grade....

No it is not above your pay grade. What you have done on the rocker is looking good. Just be very particular regarding fitment before welding. Once you have these repairs under your belt other projects will look easier.

And it is metal work. You can always cut it out and try again. When I started my build in 2006 I was very green when it came to body work.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, after I test fitted mine like you did with the screws, it turned out they were about 1/4 inch too long and slightly "flattened". I just hand "bow" them slightly to match the rear quarter and front fender arc, then re-bent the front back 1/4 inch, and ran a bead of weld on the bent end so I could file it perfectly flat. It wasn't hard, just time consuming. But if you don't do it before you weld it on, it's harder to correct after.

Here's another hint: use POR or KBS, or just sand/prime, and paint the INSIDE of the rocker before you weld on to protect it from rusting. I used a weld through primer where the spot welds were so the paint didn't interfere with the welds, and WEAR A PROTECTIVE MASK. The zinc gas that comes off the weld through primer when you weld is poisonous. If you're unsure, just don't prime/paint where you'll be welding. You can always spray a cavity coater in there after you're done instead.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2286267&postcount=68
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2292212&postcount=69
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2303666&postcount=71

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
AZ73, good photos, tough to tell exactly what part of the rockers you were cutting on. Pandas are "snug", and need to be adjusted. Now they are long and are spreading the striker and door post apart. its nice to know I should do the floor pans then the rear quarter first before the rockers.

L.R.