• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body panel replacement where to start

micked

Hey guys i need to replace rocker, inner rocker, A-pillar, and inner fender... for both sides... which panel do I start with? The rockers/inner rockers?
An order to replace would cool! I am trying to post a pic but can’t figure it out

ngsd

Bronco Guru
There are quite a few threags on this if you search. The short answer is that there is not a concensus ont he order but from what I picked up, the out panels that alignment critical are where I started. The main take away is measure, measure and measure again, Every part, every angle. Take pictures and mark the measurements on them if you can. Brace the tub well so nothing moves when you start taking structural parts like pillars and posts out so you have reference. There are a lot of pictures that show bracing on here so you can get the idea. I started mine with removing inner/outer rockers, pillars and posts. Then quarters, front clip and floors will be last. I cant tell you that is the best way but it is working so far for me.

OP
OP
micked

micked

Awesome thank you for that! I’ll follow your rec

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Don't get too deep all at once. Work one side to completion - the more you cut out the more crazy things can get. Work your way from the inside out but test fit as you go. Working on the inner rocker? Check the fit of the door and windshield post a few times. You can shove things around a lot that are hidden like rockers but as you closer to the outer skin it gets tougher to fix things.

Tack - test fit anything that is near - tack more - test fit - finish weld.

Queso1

I’m glad for this post. I was about to ask a similar question. Mine is: how do you know something is level (for example, the rockers?) It seems to me that if the tires aren’t exactly the same and filled with the same amount of air, a level isn’t going to give you a true level.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I’m glad for this post. I was about to ask a similar question. Mine is: how do you know something is level (for example, the rockers?) It seems to me that if the tires aren’t exactly the same and filled with the same amount of air, a level isn’t going to give you a true level.

#1) make sure your floor is level should suffice if not see #2
#2) jack vehicle into position and level vehicle/frame out with jack stands / shims

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey guys i need to replace rocker, inner rocker, A-pillar, and inner fender... for both sides... which panel do I start with? The rockers/inner rockers?
An order to replace would cool! I am trying to post a pic but can’t figure it out

Your inner rocker is the deepest panel! if you can get away with patching it, go that route first, if its really bad and depending on how bad your kick panel is you might need to remove the A pillar to fix the other stuff, if just the lower portion of your A pillar is rusted remove only that and graft in a new piece. do one side at a time!

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
I’m glad for this post. I was about to ask a similar question. Mine is: how do you know something is level (for example, the rockers?)”

My shop floor is old hay barn so nothing level. I got 4 camper leveling jacks to level frame from each “corner”. Might be overkill for ur situation but u are correct to start with level base. Good luck !

OP
OP
micked

micked

Thanks guys this is perfect
I’ll try and repair most of it with out replacing the whole panels

Here are some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
micked

micked

ba5c756372537d443cc33367b084c720.jpg
a267d233d12cea31370ad0f451193ab2.jpg
7face207d44df6d77d2b39d4a7565731.jpg
94b605bc203c4911cc3a69177e5bae20.jpg
955d7009afc6d6c463424bfd7c4587c9.jpg
031351d74d34a2e710c8e9c8f7756f42.jpg
68f7844582e813c9a6a0b0dc52092eb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but your going to need to replace your kick panel and repair your outer flanges of your fire wall while that panels off. they make that small filler panel that joins the corner of the kick panel and your upper cowel. You'll also need to replace your floor pans to while your at it because your inner rocker butts up to that floor pan. i suggest before you start cutting anything "TAKE MEASUREMENTS" and save them, then brace things the best you can to keep them from shifting. Once that's done Id remove the outer rocker to see how bad things are where your B pillar/ striker post meets your inner rocker.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
i would be very surprised if you could save those pillars. With that amount of rot showing, the rest lurking is going to open up once you blast it. good luck

Jamie Chriss

I am assuming this is a truck you are building for yourself? Can you take a picture from the passenger side. How much rust do you have past the door latches? I can see rust on the quarters how about the back portion of the truck. Try and get some more pictures.

I would start with a new complete platform, do one pillar at a time!! You can PM I live in San Clemente, my daughter goes to SDSU so I get to the area. There is a very good Bronco shop in town, he is very good source.

Remember most of the new metal is bent wrong so do the passenger side, put door on to ensure fit, then do the drivers side. Make sure you brace up your dash and cowl before cutting anything. Every piece of metal I have purchased needed some sort of tweaking.

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
Dont worry about level, worry about dimensions, and that the door openings are the right shape. I'm doing the same repairs, but had to do it all at once, everything had fallen apart before any bracing could be installed. I've made some large screw jacks from 3/4" turnbuckles that I'll use to push the dash up, and forward from the latch pillar. What's nice about the jack screws is that I can make small adjustments.

71 CA Bronco

I would look into a new tub. Those pillars are really bad and that is what will bite you. Next major issue will be the cowl. Aligning the cowl was a major pain as well.

If you go the route of fixing what you have, at the very least, I would buy the completed floor assembly and cowl assembly from Dynacorn. I went through this and in my opinion looking back $10k for a complete body ready for prep is the way to go. Just know even a complete body will require tweaking and fine tuning but its a whole lot easier that building from scratch.

Jamie Chriss

Agree!!! I spent way more money and time. I didn't realize how far gone mine was, the cowl is extremely suspect to warping, and the new metal is pressed so poorly it adds to the problem. If you go with a new tub there are some builders better than others. All issues start with the metal they buy, they good ones send their panels to a metal guru.

If you decide to do it your self do the passenger side, make sure everything fits the way you want then do the drivers side.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Buy another Bronco with good sheetmetal so you have a good reference to measure from. Either that or get a bunch of Bronco buddies and supply allot of beer so they want to come over every weekend.

Jedhead

I think at this point you either have the time,knowledge,tools and did I say time to piece it back together or just get a built tub and move into the fast lane ! Good luck!