• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body work without chassis?

danbrunk

So I pulled the ‘69 body off including to roof and lowered it on jacks. Couldn’t get the jacks high enough in the back so the body is not level. Started tearing floor out and drivers side kick plate door pillar and rockers, and of course didn’t weld supports from dash to rear fender. Worried about alignment issues… Now that the chassis is ready and about to put the diffs and tires on, should I just wait to weld replacement parts of the body until I can get it back on the chassis so things would be more square? Keep in mind I need to replace the front floor support…Of course once all is replaced welded and ready for finish body work and paint I would remove the body and get to their shop. Sorry for the long post…

1970 Palmer

Bolt it to a straight frame. Re-install the roof and windshield frame. Make sure the doors and tail gate/rear window actually fit. THEN, start cutting and replacing the damaged metal. Don't paint yourself into a corner. Just an opinion.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
What he said. Get it as close to straight as you can, get all the panels lines lined up, then cut out one floor section at a time and replace.

gotdads68

Contributor
You’ve got a challenge on your hands, if I’m reading your post correctly you’ve already removed a significant amount of what little structure these bodies have, they are a fight even on a straight frame. Your best bet is to gingerly get it back onto a straight frame and then as 1970 Palmer said basically mock up all your panels (sheet metal screws are a great help to hold until welding) and take your time, a poorly installed kick/door hinge panel can create a buck in or out that makes that whole side not straight/inline.