• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bows in hardtop

Todoubled

I have a question for you Bronco nuts out there. I've seen some pics of the steel bows in your hard tops and then seem to follow the roof pretty tight. I have a 66 and there is an even half inch gap between the hard top and bows from one side to the other. I could see the middle being bent if someone were to have climbed on the roof, but it is and even gap from one side to the other. Then didnt have like, fitment issues during the first year production did they. I'd say it was bent if it wasnt such a even gap, but who knows. Any thoughts?

rwill

Same way on my 74. This will allow the top to flex with a loud "popping" noise. I put a section of foam pipe insulation in mine to stop the noise and have not had any more issues.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
66 bows are bolt in and later years were spot welded. You may be able to loosen the bolts and move the bows up to take out some of the gap. There should be a thin cardboard shim between the bow and the top but adding a foam seal or weatherstrip will work well.

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
Pretty common problem.. We took some epoxy and a perfectly cut 2x4 to wedge under it... Worked well... Gotta be careful not to crease your top with too much pressure...

OP
OP
T

Todoubled

Thanks for the input guys... At some point I will put something in between the top and bow to keep the popping to a min. Just was curious as to how much of a gap was normal. I'll try to loosen those bolts and move the support up this weekend. (after I install my new valve springs to get rid of the coil bind of coarse)

fatboy4211

Loc.
Ennis, TX
One guy told me that they sprayed the expanding insulating foam you can get at hardware store. they they trimmed the excess off. he swore it was a good fix and definately fix the pop sound. the headliner will also cover that.