• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake issues**need some help**

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
Sorry this is long but I could really use some help.

I'll get to the point here:

73 Bronco

6 years ago:
-added disks from a 77 [all parts cleaned and painted to like new]
-new calipers, pads, prop valve, master cylinder
-no problems, worked great, no pulling right or left [after we adjusted the linkage]

2 weeks ago:
-driving to work nasty smell and seemed like one side or the other was locked up. Took it to brake place since it was really close. They would not do the work because it was not original brake system, but said they looked at it and seemed like a locked caliper.
-I put new pads and calipers on the front end, test drive. same problem. Maybe less locked feeling.
-was told by many people my rubber lines to the calipers were collapsing or failing. I got new stainless lines from BC and after installing, bleeding and checking everything test drive again.
-pulling hard during driving and violently during stopping, same story, maybe.
-Had no time to work on it anymore took it to a shop. They checked the wheel bearings and other stuff and found that my truck has a lot of play in the front end. [I have had the truck for 7 or 8 years now it has had the same slack forever and it never caused a problem, always stopped strait before]. They could not get over that and I think kinda gave up.
- I picked it up and as expected it feels like the driver's front rotor is getting hot for some reason. The shop did mention they thought maybe the pads were too thick [is this a possibility?] Maybe I got a dud caliper? The drive from the shop to my place is maybe 1/2 a mile and when i got home I felt around on the brake parts. The drivers side rotor was really hot, the passenger's side not hot at all. The hubs seem cool on both sides.

What is my next move? She is my daily driver and I am sick of bumming a ride. I don't have a lot of time or money and just not sure what's going on? All your help and experience is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
probably time for new calipers might be hanging up on you. or the calipers are just hanging up in the mounts and binding might be a good idea to pull it apart and clean and lube the caliper sliding area on both sides. 7-8 years of daily driving takes a toll on parts you may believe it has the same play as before and it may even feel the same but play is play. I'd get it fixed especailly on a daily driver.

OP
OP
redneckrocky

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
thanks I have been meaning to send in the steering box for a rebuild just have not had time to have it out of commision for so long. Also it has new calipers as metioned above but it could be binding either way. I plan on pulling it apart later. Anybody else got some idea of what the problem could be?

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
You most likely have blockage somewhere to that side or have a plastic piston in caliper. I had to replace the steel lines to finally fix one problem. Pads cant be too thick if caliper fits over them. Drive around the block to get the parts hot. Then open bleed screw on each caliper. If hot side has a noticable amount of pressure release, then there is blockage in line. If brake fluid is contaminated, the rubber sealing ring on that piston can be swelling causing piston not to retract. Also check the steel lines all the way back to M/C making sure nothing is smashed flat or kinked. Bleed the whole system and loosen every fitting from caliper all the way back to M/C to find any restrictions or blockage along the way.

OP
OP
redneckrocky

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
Thanks. I hope to have some time to get to it this afternoon. The only line I have not really checked is the one from the prop to the axle where the front line run from. Also thanks for the tip on bleeding while hot. Thanks to all, more info/ideas greatly appreciated. The more info I have when I get out to work on it the better.

OP
OP
redneckrocky

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
tried some stuff

This morning I tried 2 things. I did the hot bleed and had no residual pressure. I also jacked up the front end to check the the tire for freewheeling. The hot side, driver side front, was pretty tight. I had to really pull to get it to spin, as expected. The passenger side spun OK with what I assume is regular amount of resistance. So I guess my next move is replacing the caliper. It seems weird that I would be having the same problem before and after changing the calipers, unless it is a faulty caliper in the same place where the old one failed. Any other ideas, I'm sick of driving my wife's camry.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
take a good look at your brake lines for any dents or bends that may have kinked the line that can cause a change in line pressure. look close at the junction block on the axle as the bends there could be excessive.

OP
OP
redneckrocky

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
New caliper is on and it looks like it's not locking up. Thanks for all the help. there is a new slight issue that ill start a new post about. Thanks Again.