• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake lines/Fuel lines (hardlines). Who does them?

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
OK. Where did you go to get you hardlines bent for your brakes and even your fuel lines? I will need custom ones for both applications for sure. Went to 3 places in town today and no one really had a person or place that bends/fabricates hard lines. Any suggestions?....

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I looked into the vendors stuff. I need custom bent lines due to a few mods. The lines the vendors sell don't look like they will work for my application.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is bending them yourself not an option?

Otherwise any hot rod/4x4/race shop or builder should be able to help you out.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I've never done anything like that and I don't have the tools. I would feel better having someone with some knowledge doing it with me or for me.

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
U can always get a bender, a flare kit and some line and do it yourself- save urself some $$ and frustration. why would u want to pay a guy 60-70$ a hr at a shop when u can do it yourself- the way u want it done. Its really not that hard to do. Plus u will be ready if a line ever brakes or u have to change them again due to future mods u cant just go to any shop-most places just swap out parts nowadays.

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
I've never done anything like that and I don't have the tools. I would feel better having someone with some knowledge doing it with me or for me.

you can do it-
before I had a bronco I never thought I could put in a lift kit, install a fuel inj. motor in a 30+ year old rig, rebuild a tranny, convert drum to disc brakes, convert vac assist to hydro brakes, install a locker, etc..

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
it's easy, practice before you jump into it and the material is cheap, so don't fret it, it's not like you are bending up a roll cage.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
get yourself a bender and buy premade brake line from NAPA. Every piece on a bronco is within inches of stock lengths at NAPA

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
In Baton Rouge we have a old shop called LB Adams & Co. that made some custom lines for me. I think they specialize in hydraulic equipment and supplies. There is bound to be someone like that in Vegas

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Now that everyone has built me up with confidence, I'm going to go get the tools and play origami with some steel line! Any suggestions on who has good deals on benders and flare kits?

green3301

Loc.
League City, TX
I just spend the entire last two weekends learning about bending brake lines. I replaced every single line on my '74. I was nervous and slow but by the time I was done I was whipping those lines out like a pro. Don't get me wrong, it's gonna take you a while and you're gonna cuss, but it's not really that hard.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can borrow a decent flaring tool through many auto parts stores with tool loan programs, save yourself the cost for something you may not ever do again. As for benders, the roller die units seem to make the nicest bends in my experience, but it doesn't have to be fancy to do the job you're needing it for.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you shouldn't need a flaring tool, if you can take the brake lines off and either measure them or take them to NAPA or equivalant. Get the line that is closest plus a little. If you measured, remeber to bend the measuring tape around the bends to get longest measurement. Only if they don't have the right size, flare.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
you shouldn't need a flaring tool, if you can take the brake lines off and either measure them or take them to NAPA or equivalant. Get the line that is closest plus a little. If you measured, remeber to bend the measuring tape around the bends to get longest measurement. Only if they don't have the right size, flare.

That is the dumbest reason not to get a flare tool. Sure - avoid making cuts every 5 feet, but don't base your entire project around driving to the store and back. Get a nice hand held bender, a tube cutter and double flare tool (rent it and don't bring it back if you like it - or rent an unopened package. What you pay to rent is what it costs to buy!)

There is nothing wrong with cutting and flaring your own line, it may take a practice flare or two, but you will get the hang of it fast.

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
Don't buy the cheapest flaring tool. I bought one at a parts store for about $25 and it was junk. Went to sears and bought another for about $35 and it worked like a charm. Came with a case and was superior in many ways( leverage). Don't waste time with the tiny pipe cutter either, go to homedepot and get a bigger one (leverage) for about $10.
Took some practice, but I got it. Bending can be done with various tools, but I mostly used stuff I had around my barn to wrap the line around. Used my shock rods for tight bends.

jasonv

your local Auto Zone usually loans benders for free too. They should be fine for brake lines, didn't work so well on the 3/8 stainless I used for a fuel line.

jason