• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake pedal travel?

Cooter_76

I'm having some trouble with the stopping power of my chevy disc conversion.
Some background: I'm using the '76 F250 master cylinder for a dual-piston caliper truck. I also have manual brakes, and I am not using a proportioning valve. I'm fairly certain I have bled the brakes completely. I may not have enough clearance between the caliper and knuckle, and plan to check that today.
The pedal has a lot of relatively easy downward travel, and the Bronco comes to a slow stop. I've searched and read many threads on similar problems.
I'm wondering if the pedal is pushing the MC piston as far as it needs to. At rest, I can pull the pedal up about 1", resulting in about 1/4" of rod travel. I've seen posts where people have talked about adjusting the length of the brake pedal rod, but there does not seem to be any way to adjust mine (it is one solid shaft.)

Does anyone have any insight? Should I try to find an adjustable rod? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

RangerRob

Pretty sure the adjustment they are talking about is on the input side of the stock booster, and you don't have one. Others have talked about removing the calipers and pointing the bleeder straight up to make darn sure they don't have any air in them. I know you used the one man bleeder system and that might not have removed all of the air.

Sounds like you need someone to assist and observe. Too bad I can't head over there today....

Good Luck!!!
:cool: :) :cool: