• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bright Trim Polishing

turbotim2

I am working on cleaning up the bright aluminum trim around the windows. I have put it on the buffing wheel and they really cleaned up pretty well but there is a haze that just won't come off. Anybody have any hints on cleaning that off? I am hesitant to try chemicals and ruin the finish it does have.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That trim is bright anodized. The coating has to be polished completely off to get to base aluminum and completely polish that again. And then you have bare aluminum to maintain...

67RT

Bronco Guru
Haze is anodizing. I used easy off to remove mine, then sanding up to wet 2000 followed by buffer wheel with rouge.. Easy off is toxic and doesn't get it all. Google the process. Have to keep polish on it to keep it from oxidizing. Reanodizing is expensive and polishing a pain. If new is available I would go that way. It wasn't for my Mopar so I had to polish. Led to Tommy John surgery on elbow from so much sanding..