• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

broke off bolts

PDQBOSS

Loc.
MOULTON
I have a 71 that previous owner took the doors off on driver side at lower door hinge all 3 bolts are broke off. Any suggestions on how to get them out is there any way to take out the plate that bolt are in. Thanks

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
To take the plate out, you need to remove the fenders and cut access holes in the back of the door post. It has been done several times by guys on this board.

You can also try welding nuts to the broken off bolts and see if the combination of welding heat and the ability to get a socket on them will get them out. Some will suggest drilling and using an easy out, but I've never had much luck with easy outs.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Or you could drill it and use easy outs

Bruduf

Try to find some left handed drill bits, go from small to a large and usually the bit will catch the bolt and back it out. As more of the bolt is drilled out it's loses it's grip. It does take some time and make sure you start in the center of bolt.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
If you want to try to extract them without cutting a hole in the A-pillar, click this, read its caption, & the NEXT several:

You won't remove the plate from the body, so you can't use a drill press, and the file won't go as deep. But you can essentially follow that process to get one bolt out. Then bolt it to the body so the plate doesn't slide around, and the others are easier. I'd start with the one closest to the center.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I'd recommend the weld method if at all possible. its worked for me a couple times...

u10072

Bronco Guru
If you have a welder the weld method is a life-saver-- if you do have a welder and don't know the method just ask-- if you don't have a welder -- get one :)