• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broke the oil pressure sending stem coming off the engine..

O

Original77

So I'm wiring in some new gauges. When it comes to the oil pressure sending unit, I start to remove the old sender, and I break the aluminum tube off that comes off the engine, that the oil pressure sending unit screws into. I have a half inch piece that screws into the block that I can't get out. I just got a screw type extracator and a can of PB blaster, but that sucker won't budge. Any other tips or ideas on how to get that out? Thanks, O'77

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Its a pipe thread and the aluminium is probably galled up, you will probably be stuck with drilling and tapping. At least it is aluminium so it will drill easily and tap easily. coat your drill bit and tap with heavy grease to grab the chips and not push them into the oil galley. Unfortunately you need to unbolt the whole side of the engine Exhaust, power steering and maybe the fuel pump and the oil filter. then unbolt the motor mount and jack up the engine on the drivers side to tilt it up. ( watch out for your fan shroud and hoses) ( you may need to loosen tranny mounts too)You will need a small right angle drill motor and a shortned drill bit. You may have better luck with snaking a drill bit and a long extension through the gap between the fender well and the frame. Much easier option than the first, if the angle will let you do it. My bronco isnt in front of me or I would know for sure.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Mite try some heat torch on it first befor drilling I have broken a good few of them and never had to drill one yet and then use steel not alum. you can get a pc. of 3/8" pipe and a adapter to fit your gauge good luck.:p :p :p Bill 8) %) :p

BroncoDon

Loc.
Laguna Hills, CA
I have always worried about that part breaking while out on the trail and pumping all the oil out of the engine. Are you replacing it with an electric oil pressure guage ? If so which one are you going to use ? Good Luck !!!

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I've had luck with vice grips on stuff like this even if only a little is sticking out. I got a broken head bolt out that way this weekend that my dad wanted to drill and tap.