• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

broken door hinge bolts

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
I snapped off all of my door hinge, to door post bolts on the drivers side of my 66'. They had been changed at some point to 1/2 in. bolts, rather than the phillips head ones.. I had planned on having to drill some out, but not all of em'. Whats the best method to address this?? I was going to pick up a set of left handed bits, and try that first.. Any suggestions??

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I had only one to do. Spray some Liquid wrench oil or something like it. I tried to weld a nut to the broken bolt, but no luck. So I let it soak for a day or so. Hit it with a center punch, when I started to drill, I got maybe half way through and the drillbit grabbed the bolt and pushed it through. I wished I used those left handed bits. Good Luck.

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
When I broke off a few in my plates I tried to back them out with some lefties and ended up breaking those off in the plates as well. So I cut a window in the back side of the post and took them out and made new plates, tapped them and put them back in the keepers. (see my build thread for photos... link below)

Then I welded up the windows and flushed the seams with a little filler, sanded and it was done.

While I had em out I also shot some rust inhibitor in there just for a little added protection.

Formerjughead

Loc.
Chico
When I did mine I drilled out the snapped bolts and re tapped the holes. I only had to resise one of the holes. You should be able to drill out the snapped portion and just chase the threads.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I was just working on a broken stud thinking it's going to be a breeze.
Drilled it out with a reverse bit.
Used an extractor to back it out, no budge.
Drill a little more and chase it with a tap... No problem...
Half way in and the tap broke....urgh! :mad:

Put tools away, I'm done for tonight......

Attachments

• DSC03479.JPG
    DSC03479.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC03480.JPG
    DSC03480.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC03482.JPG
    DSC03482.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 105

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Blew the broken tap out with the plasma cutter......;D

Drill and retap 5/16"-18

All done...

Attachments

• DSC03485.JPG
    DSC03485.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC03486.JPG
    DSC03486.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC03487.JPG
    DSC03487.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC03489.JPG
    DSC03489.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 88

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
If they are 1/2 bolts, weld a 7/16 flat washer to the bolt. You can get to the bolt better with a washer than a nut. Then weld a nut to the washer to get a wrench on. Penetrating oil and work back and forth. The heat will help it break loose.

OP
OP
2b1ask1

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
I finally got all of them drilled out... I am going to tap the holes 11/32, and used stainless hardware... Hopefully that will be the end of that!!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I finally got all of them drilled out... I am going to tap the holes 11/32, and used stainless hardware... Hopefully that will be the end of that!!
Make sure to use good quality taps... What's worst is breaking the tap inside the drilled hole...

It happened to me....