• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco HardTop question

gera_raider

Contributor
Loc.
Watsonville CA
Hello All,
I have a 1966, and I'm looking into buying a used hardtop that is coming off a 69. I've heard in past that the 66 hardtop is different from all the other years. I have to confirm that. Do any of you know if that true? Thank you.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Liftgate lock position and handle style, the roof bows are bolted on rather than screwed on, bracing in the rear top corners are different, two oblong holes in the back braces are different too I believe on the 66'. If the 69' had vacuum wipers it will still be a direct fit. If it had electric wipers you'll need to drill new holes where the front of the top meets the windshield frame due to the vacuum wipers on the 66'. Early 69' had vacuum, rest of the 69' had electric.

OP
OP
G

gera_raider

Contributor
Loc.
Watsonville CA
Thank you! Do you for see any problems with fitting my 66? Besides having to drill the holes up front. My 66 has the two motors for the wipers. I'm not sure what the 69 had vacuum wipers.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Thank you! Do you for see any problems with fitting my 66? Besides having to drill the holes up front. My 66 has the two motors for the wipers. I'm not sure what the 69 had vacuum wipers.

It's commonly done, as 66 tops are hard to come by most of the time. Folks have put 69-77 tops on 66-69 broncos over the years due to what was available at the time, just have to drill the new holes in the front to match.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
^^^ what bobby said.. should work w/a little modificatoin

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
As stated above, electric wiper conversion was mid year 69. If the top you're looking at is an early 69 then it will fit with no drilling.