• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco lean

Sandman0747

Loc.
Phoenix
Installed new 3.5 in wild horses lift. I now have 1.5 in lean in front drivers side and 1 in lean in rear. Did the whole bronco lean fix that is on wild horses website about 4 times now. They start a passenger side lean is most common. I have the opposite. I noticed my axle was sticking out a little further on the drivers side and thought that might've the problem. I got an adjustable trac bar and installed it. Fixed the axle problem but it still leans. I can't figure out what is going on. I would like to fix it myself and not take it somewhere. Does anybody have any ideas. I am out of them.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Interesting in that the typical Bronco Lean will cause the Bronco to sit down more in the rear than the front.

Have you verified the lean at the frame as well? Of course the difference between drivers and passengers side will be less, but should still be there.

My Bronco lean was on the driver's side. Sometimes, after getting back from some wheeling, I'll notice a lean, usually to the drivers side. But a little "spirited" driving on the road to include some quick right and left corners, and the lean usually goes away. I've learned to ignore it...

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
are you sure the suspension is laening and not the body? My right front corner body mount is on the frame 3/4" lower than the pass side! Could it be that the bumpers are off and giving a illusion also. where are you measuring to? Also how many miles on the suspension. i wouldnt do any measuring till you have a few thousand miles on it. By then it might lean the other way!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandman0747

Sandman0747

Loc.
Phoenix
I measured from multiple points with the same result. I'll check the body mounts but I'm pretty sure they are good

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I'll check the body mounts but I'm pretty sure they are good

I just say that because i know for a fact that my front frame mounts are around 3/4" different and i know for a fact that my frame is solid and not rusty. They were just rivited or welded on from the factory that far off! And my bumper sits the opposite way because of the frame horns so combined it looked horrible! I adjusted to a happy medium and thats ok with me.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Start with a measurement from the top of the axle tube to the frame on all 4 corners.
measure from the ground to the top of the rim and adjust the air pressure to get all 4 rim heights the same.

put a jack on the frame in the front and jack up the frame until you get the axle to frame measurements the same on the front axle.
now recheck the rear axle tube to frame measurements. and jack the frame to get the frame to tube height the same. Once you get the frame and axles level thens see if you still have bronco lean. if you do its in the body. Note the frame to tube height front and rear are always different so dont worry about it.
At this point you will know where the problem is. most likley a little of everything.
now what I would do first is loosen all the suspension bolts while everything is sitting where its supposed to be. after you get them all looseten now properly torque the bolts. I would do them all at 15 lbs then after getting them torqued at that torgue then Toegue them all to 30 lbs after getting them all done finish torquing them all to the full proper torque.
If this does not get you the end results you need then you have the choice of swapping the high spring with the low spring on the end with the most trouble.
after that your looking at getting shims made to put between the axle and the springs.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have noticed that just the slightest turn of my steering will make my eb sit about 3/4" low on the drivers side. I turn the wheel the other way a little and it's almost level. But ultimately mine sits a wee bit low on the drivers side, it has for the 30+ years I have owned it. I have replaced the suspension and switched springs from side to side. All new body mounts and bolts.
I have done the "loosen all your suspension bolts" thing and then retighten with the suspension loaded on flat ground.
I have replaced damn near everything on my eb in this effort to level it out.
The thing that made the biggest difference was re torquing the radius arms cap bolts over and over. It's still not perfect. I wish it was.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
My Bronco lean was on the driver's side. Sometimes, after getting back from some wheeling, I'll notice a lean, usually to the drivers side. But a little "spirited" driving on the road to include some quick right and left corners, and the lean usually goes away. I've learned to ignore it...

I've expirenced this too-

Major lean-

No lean-

I dunno WTF does it, but getting back in and burning some recycled dynosaurs sure does seem to fix it... ;D