• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Painting and Doors

68Broncoz

Contributor
Getting ready to paint the bronco and have the doors aligned. What is the best way to mark the doors and/or hinges so the are aligned after paint? Or paint with the doors on?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I have always painted with the doors on after the doors are aligned.

But what do I know? ;D

suckerpunched

you can do it either way, i painted mine off. if there are any shims involved mark them. just rehang doors carefully. preferably a two person job. don't tighten the bolts too tight until you have the adjustment pretty close.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
When I added the stainless steel hinges to mine, I spent so much time adjusting them (still not perfect), I can't imagine touching doors, except the handles, after new paint.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
When I painted mine about 12 years ago I wish I had have taken the door hinges off and wire brushed them down to bare metal and then primed the hinges with etching primer because the hinges were sanded as best as I could do on all exposed metal but rust started creeping under the paint after just a few months.I plan on taking all of the hinges off one at a time and doing that now since it is paint time again.Also I would look at the windshield hinge for signs of rust and either media blast or take the big jump and replace that hinge because I will be doing that in the next few months.Yours may not have a sign of rust on the door hinges or the windshield hinge so you will be lucky.Just a couple of things I ran into when I painted mine.Good luck on the painting.If you do take the door hinges off one at a time be sure to support the door so it's level and doesn't move.

Last edited:

jason_marshall1

I work at a restoration shop, we paint all the hard to reach components, jams, edges, apart at first (assume you are using base & clear), then assemble hood, doors etc. and continue to paint the panels all at one time in the booth. This gives us a nice color match and the panels have the same appearance, very critical with pearls or metallics. Once the base is applied, disassemble once again for clear coating. There is no good way to avoid adjusting the doors multiple times. If you use single stage, you can manipulate the color with the paint gun distance and angle if necessary.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Painted with the doors off and we've aligned them so many times we know just about where they need to be for final install. We did use a punch and mark which hinge goes where

I would hate to paint them and then have to adjust down the road and find an unpainted spot

Jamie Chriss

Is there a better option than the stainless steel hinges? I think the bend makes fitting them even more challenging. Isn't there an after market hinge the has the factory bend? Maybe it Toms Bronco or Duff but there has to be a better option.