• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco sputters under hard acceloration

BroncoBoy69

Loc.
Nome Alaska
Hey guys iv got a 69 bronco with a 302. im running a eldabrock carb and intake with no cam. sorry i cant spell worth shit. it never use to do this but when im really soppen on the gas or going up a steep hill it will spit and spudder... iv tryed higher octane gas and changed the cap and rotor and plugs but didnt change. if any one can help me out that would be awsome thanks guy

Corby

OP
OP
B

BroncoBoy69

Loc.
Nome Alaska
well i thought of that two i have a reg machaincal fuel pump that dosnt leak and then i have and electric mounted at the tank. non of the lines leak and even with both of the fuel pumps going it dosnt make i diffrance

COrby

FMCBRONCO

Have you checked your fuel filters? Do a close inspection of the soft (rubber) fuel lines if they are cracked you can be sucking in air but it will generally only show up under hard acceleration I know the problem happened to me.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Sounds like either the accelerator pump isn't putting in fuel when you step on it. So check the accelerator pump and the float level.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If it dose this only when you put load to it (up a hill) then I would get some new plug wires sounds like there braking down under load. This will happen to old plug wires. Dont use noname junk get good wires good luck and have fun. ;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p PS even new junk wires can do this.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Check to make sure all your spark plug wires are on the correct plug. You could have a pair crossed, quick fix. Have you done any work to the motor prior to this condition? When you say spit and sputter, is any of this through the carb? Have you done any timing chain work recently? Do you know how much total advance you have?
OK I will stop.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I had a similar problem a few years ago and it ended up being my Duraspark module. I only found that our after changing fuel filters, plug wires, cap, rotor, carb rebuild.

If you have the Duraspark ignition, they are cheap to swap out.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Mine sucked bad before and i thought it was my carb. I changed my coil and points and it helped it out a lot. Might try checking that. Mine is a 69 too.

OP
OP
B

BroncoBoy69

Loc.
Nome Alaska
WELL hey thanks guy for all the sugestions. ill have to try and do my plug wires i bought some new msd wires a while ago but just havent got the drive to put them together yet but i guses ill have to oder some nice rails and put them together. well by the way guys i started maken my lift off hinges and there coming along pretty good. there going to be sweet im planing on makeing some tub frame half door for the summer and cover them with some nice alluminume. i think that will be pretty trick. well thanks agine guys for all the help.

Corby

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
I'll put in for something sparkplug related. Either a wire not connected to a sp or bad spark plugs.

But I'm nowhere near a mechanic. ;D