• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BroncoBob cage frame tie in

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Hey gang, I'm looking into tying my BroncoBob cage to my frame. Anyone done this with his cage?

Thoughts on how to do this cost effectively but still ensuring safety?

Pics?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344608126.837074.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344608126.837074.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 111

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Here's some pics of the Broncobob tie ins. They mount to the B pillar loop behind the front seats.

Attachments

• BB cage frame tie in1.jpg
    BB cage frame tie in1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 186
  • BB cage frame tie in2.jpg
    BB cage frame tie in2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 195

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Here's some pics of the Broncobob tie ins. They mount to the B pillar loop behind the front seats.

Thats what im talking about....thats the worst design i have ever seen!! Its better than nothing, but if your gona take the time to do it then do it right. A piviot point makes the tie in junk! IMO But at least the piviot isnt on the frame side...thats even worse!

Push down or pull up on the cage and the piviot bushing allows the cage to move up or down rather than transfer the force to the frame. It would be like putting a piviot in a cross brace! And we all know that would be a terrible idea. Look at extreme customs setup. solid as a rock! Id put my trust in that before the pivot brackets.

For 99% of us either design is fine but for some of the guys on here, who think were racing funny cars off a cliff, the piviot design should be avoided.

Last edited:

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Thats what im talking about....thats the worst design i have ever seen!! Its better than nothing, but if your gona take the time to do it then do it right. A piviot point makes the tie in junk! IMO But at least the piviot isnt on the frame side...thats even worse!

Push down or pull up on the cage and the piviot bushing allows the cage to move up or down rather than transfer the force to the frame. It would be like putting a piviot in a cross brace! And we all know that would be a terrible idea. Look at extreme customs setup. solid as a rock! Id put my trust in that before the pivot brackets.

For 99% of us either design is fine but for some of the guys on here, who think were racing funny cars off a cliff, the piviot design should be avoided.

I see what you're saying and understand why but (IMO) the only way you would ever see any "pivot" going on in these is if you had complete failure of not only all 8 body mount bolts but the frame tie-in welds as well. If you actually look at them and think about all the variables required to get these things to move its quite a bit! You'd have to have complete seperation of the body and chassis & these are two more VERY solid points added to help prevent that.

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
You can use Mazda RX7 rear control arm bushings from Energy Suspension for the bushing. It fits in 1.75 tubing, .120 wall a little loose, and .098 tighter. Never thought about that mount being a pivot, I've been building these for years. My next one that will be competition only will be solid mount.

OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the feedback guys! Good to know there's some options.

OP
OP
g8rb8t

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Yep it's a rod holder. Guy who did the frame off had it on there and I loved the story. He used to back up onto a pier and use it and sit on the tailgate.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles

It may be weak, but i doubt it. There is a reason why it's still in the market right? Those pivots are to cancel out the noise that travels from the frame to the frame tie in and then down the tubing as the roll cage is hollow in the middle which somehow makes a distorted sound. I leaned that from a high end Baja fabricator... But then with all the damn noise our broncos make it would be the least of our worries :D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Yep it's a rod holder. Guy who did the frame off had it on there and I loved the story. He used to back up onto a pier and use it and sit on the tailgate.

Thats ausome. I wana mount one on my front bumper like this (holds a cooler too)...

Attachments

• thCARY117L.jpg
    thCARY117L.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 31

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA

There's certainly stronger approaches out there and the nearly horizontal angles of the frame support do encourage a "pivot" at this joint. But the frame side is all rigid with some really nice welds (good job welding fungus) so you'd have to break the welds or bend the tubing for that joint to pivot.

Not the strongest design, but far better than no tie-in at all..!

I used the same style of suspension bushing joint with my frame tie-in too, but I got rid of the angle at that joint and went head-on instead - in order to minimize risk of pivot.

Attachments

• IMG_6626.jpg
    IMG_6626.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 95