• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bumpers & Jacks

TRSmith99

Loc.
Oakland
Hey All...

Looking for recommendations. The PO of my bronco stripped off the tire rack. When I bought the bronco, he pointed to a pile of parts and said "that's it... those are yours too...".

Well.... time passes by. When I finally get to looking at installing the spare tire rack, it doesn't fit. The corner angles are incorrect - suggesting this tire rack isn't even from an early bronco (they are not even close).

So....
I'm in the hunt for a spare tire carrier. I've trolled the typical sites - WH, Tom's etc. Not quite finding what I want... specifically, I'm looking for a spare tire rack with integrated Jack Storage. I'm not looking for additional (jerry can or cooler) storage.

What ya got...? Where'd you get it...? Are you happy with it? Pics are appreciated....

Thanks!

T-

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I have a complete factory one that is blown apart for paint right now was looking to sell it when Im done it has all the inner braces and the ranch hand bracket as well. Only piece that it would need is the safety cable and a new wing it has one but one of the ears is busted of. If you want to go stock and are not running anything over a 33" tire a stock one works fine. Your only other choice is to go aftermarket and if your planning on running a larger spare tire you will need to go aftermarket anyway. Choices for aftermarket are attached to the bumper or a receiver mounted one the receiver hitch ones are questionable as to how big a spare you can hang off them. Some have gotten away with 35's but that's a lot of weight hanging off a receiver.
Anyway sorry not trying to hijack your thread but if you want a stock one contact me and we can work something out. I see you are in Portland what part?

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
What type of jack are you trying to carry?

There was a guy making an adapter to add a Hi Lift to the spare carrier of FSBs & EBs. He passed away awhile back. Gary was a good guy & is missed.

I'm linking this just to pass along the idea. Maybe you could do something similar if you end up with a stock type carrier. Pics are in posts 1, 22, & 97 of this thread. There are phone numbers & website info in there, but with Gary gone they won't take you anywhere.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
It all depends on the kind of jack you need to carry. If you're lifted w/large tire and metal bumpers, the hi-lift is a good option but difficult to carry. As El Kabong mentioned, most pick the bumper/tire-carrier they like then come up with a way to mount the jack (including on the interior in some cases).

Otherwise, many still make due with a nice bottle jack. Much smaller and easier to store but you have to get creative when trying to use it (prop it up, strapping suspension, etc.)

Lastly, some just don't carry a spare at all. Unless you venture great distances from home, it's not such a bad alternative. After all, how many who carry a spare tire have ever had the need to use it while in the field?

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I bought a Proto Fab rear bumper and ended up making my own high lift jack mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
T

TRSmith99

Loc.
Oakland
I have a complete factory one that is blown apart for paint right now was looking to sell it when Im done it has all the inner braces and the ranch hand bracket as well. Only piece that it would need is the safety cable and a new wing it has one but one of the ears is busted of. If you want to go stock and are not running anything over a 33" tire a stock one works fine. Your only other choice is to go aftermarket and if your planning on running a larger spare tire you will need to go aftermarket anyway. Choices for aftermarket are attached to the bumper or a receiver mounted one the receiver hitch ones are questionable as to how big a spare you can hang off them. Some have gotten away with 35's but that's a lot of weight hanging off a receiver.
Anyway sorry not trying to hijack your thread but if you want a stock one contact me and we can work something out. I see you are in Portland what part?

Hey - Thanks for the note. I have 30's on right now and no lift. I do have a standard bottle jack, but...it's just too short. As such, I'm open to suggestions on jacks. I could use a "hi-boy", but (as noted) storage is an issue.

I was in SW Portland for the last 5 years - between Hillsdale and Multnomah village. We moved down to CA about a year ago - guess I need to update my profile! : >

OP
OP
T

TRSmith99

Loc.
Oakland
What type of jack are you trying to carry?

There was a guy making an adapter to add a Hi Lift to the spare carrier of FSBs & EBs. He passed away awhile back. Gary was a good guy & is missed.

I'm linking this just to pass along the idea. Maybe you could do something similar if you end up with a stock type carrier. Pics are in posts 1, 22, & 97 of this thread. There are phone numbers & website info in there, but with Gary gone they won't take you anywhere.

I have 30's on it right now. I use a standard bottle jack - but looking for a more suitable replacement. I took a look at the FSB forum. I think the design would work, but (believe it or not), I try to keep the "rattles" to a minimum. As such, I'd be concerned about constaint "rattling" from that mount.

Any other suggestions...?

T-

OP
OP
T

TRSmith99

Loc.
Oakland
Hey all...

Thanks for the various questions/suggestions. A few more details....

I currently have 30" tires on the rig and no lift (no body lift and no suspension lift) which is fine for my purposes. However, even with the larger tires, the standard bottle jack just is a bit too small. This is "my truck" - the one vehicle in the house that no one else tries to drive. This is my weekend errands and weekend warrior transportation (mountain biking, snow skiing, beach, running the dogs, etc.). As such, its definitely not a "wheeler" but more of a resto-mod. Yes, it has dug through a few deep snow drifts and run through the mud some - but nothing too extreme. : >

My thought has been to figure out my spare tire rack first, then tackle the jack mounting - but also don't want to paint myself into a corner. I definitely want the tire external (not looking for an internal mount).

I am not "against" the standard factory swing away tire rack, but have heard they "rattle" a lot - not something I'm found of.

I have been considering one of the prerunner bumbers that have the integrated swing away tire rack. My wheels would seem to fit. I don't have stock bumpers (another change by the PO to the "tube" bumpers).

Do I just bite the bullet and get one of the prerunner bumpers and THEN figure out how to modify it...? Are there any other jacks around that might fit in the standard/stock location under the hood? (Was thinking that bumper jack from a mid-70's F150 might work....?)

Thoughts...?

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Do you have a roll bar? You can use u bolts or muffler clamps around a bar. Then use wings nuts and washers to hold jack in place. I use this in the bed of two trucks (put thru the lip of the bed) and it works great. I use fence clamps to hold the handle in place. The upper bolt I put a coupler on . Then weld a bolt on a piece of tubing that my shovel handle will fit thru. The back u bolt I make a u with a bolt welded on to cradle the head of the shovel. I put lock nuts on the bolts.

someone on here had a pic of one mounted under the hood by fire wall. Plus the frt bumper has been used putting the jack in a horizontal position like the link above or make your own mount.

Myllo73

I run 35's and carry a bottle jack and will be figuring out where to put my Hi Lift next week. I just recently purchased a rear bumper with a tire carrier. The bottle jack works great on flat surfaces and I don't have to worry about the suspension flexing.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I make a set of adjustable ones. Take a look at the link in my sig. It's made for a Hi-Lift and is offered as a kit. The other arm is an option.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Here's how I mounted my jack.Just a couple 1/2 bolts and some front upper shock bushings.It would probably work on a stock bumper too.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401298092480.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401298092480.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 42
  • uploadfromtaptalk1401298121612.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401298121612.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 33