• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bumpsteer fixed, but...

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
well, i'm happy to say we fixed the bumpsteer on my truck today. i ended up ordering a track bar riser bracket from WH last week and we installed it topday. i ended up setting it where i needed it, not right where they said, and it worked out just fine.

when i came home and started adjusting the front end something else caught my eye, the passenger side knuckle is bent! right where the tie rod connects to it it's pointing down several degrees. guess i know what my next project is, i wanted to do ball joints soon anyway!

anybody got a stock dana 44 drum passenger knuckle?

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
before and after pics;

Attachments

• DSCN0147.jpg
    DSCN0147.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN0672.JPG
    DSCN0672.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN0673.JPG
    DSCN0673.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
here's the knuckle. what would cause this?

Attachments

• DSCN0674.JPG
    DSCN0674.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0675.JPG
    DSCN0675.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN0676.JPG
    DSCN0676.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 59

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Someone hit something with the tie rod real hard. guess what happens to the knuckle when that DOM tubing hits something. There's no give in that tubing like there is in a stock tie rod so you'll probably endup breaking the knuckle instead of bending it. Although it can happen with either setup.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
73stallion, give me call (423-563-0126) and I'll hook you up with another knuckle...already drilled. I have a couple lying around and you are welcome to one.

Thanks, Anthony.

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
mine aren't driled straight, they're reamed for BC's heim studs. are yours drilled straight or tapered?

Attachments

• heim stud.JPG
    heim stud.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 18

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I like the looks of that set up. Is that from WH also? I'll have to undertake this project soon too.

Thanks
:eek:)

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
You would only use the tall riser if you have a 3.5"+ lift. I've never hit it with 4.5" lift on compression but the driverside drop trac bracket was hitting the c-bushings. Thats why I decided to ditch the drop bracket and add a riser on the axle instead. Plus having TRO helps having the axle end of the bar up higher so it doesn't hit the tie-rods.
Why haven't you done the TRO yet anyway? Do you plan on leaving it TRU?

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i've thought about it, but i only have a 2.5" lift. i just don't see the need right now. i don't plan in raising the truck any more aside from the 1" BL i have for it. the biggest tire i'm going to run will be 33's.

i bounced on it as hard as i could and the bracket never hit the frame, that doesn't mean it won't if i ever jump it again. i plan on raising my bump stops.