• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

burping the P/S and Hydro

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I'm trying to bleed the P/S and Hydro unit. Right now, I don't have any assist or P/S. I have it jacked up in the front and I'm turning it lock to lock until it doesn't burp. It took over 50 times lock to lock before it stopped burping. I started it up and tried the P/S and assist - nothing. Started burping it again and some air still comes out. It leads be to belive that it just still has air in it. But is it possible to not be completely tight on one of the return lines? I don't have any leaks right now. Also, it only burps at the end stops. I don't have a filter or cooler either. At this rate, I'll be doing this well into the evening....

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wehad a dodge truck last week at work we put gear box hydro pump and a hose
it should have been ready at 5;30 but it wasn't so we let it set over night and it cleaned up in about 30 minutes the next morning...

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I thrashed with it for a few more hours. I'll let it sit until the morning and see what I have. The thing that's bugging me, is that when I turen it lock to lock, it only bubbles at the right lock posistion. I turn it back and forth over and over and can't seem to get it to stop burping?

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Well, after lettng it sit over night, it still doesn't work. Followed the hydratech bleeding process again. Tightened all my connections. There is no assist for either the P/S or brakes.

It still burps every time I hit the right turn stop as if the pressure builds up in the P/S box and then releases. You can hear it when it does it. Both the P/S box and hydro unit are used. So, I can't say for sure there isn't a problem with one fo them. I"m also assuming that the P/S pump I just got from the wrecking yard is good too.

Any thoughts on debugging this?

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Ok, here's some pics... I hope you see something you don't like :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0995.JPG
    IMG_0995.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 59

welndmn

Bronco Guru
What does no assit mean?
Does it make a lot of noise?
Does it steer at all?
In that 4th pic, is that small line your suction line (the line from the pump to the Res?) or the return?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
a few suggestions if i may
That is a remote reservoir pump, return one of the low pressure lines to the reservoir the other one to the pump itself, this will get rid of any possible back pressure issues a TEE could cause. The return to the reservoir is standard on the ASTRO van install.
Check the following for air/fluid leaks
The power steering box, the bottom of it. make sure someone is turning the wheel when you look. Also have someone turn the wheel while your checking the lines. You have to have pressure on the lines to see the leak.
Check the back of the HBoost. crawl under the dash and look. this is where you may get a leak from hboost. Ensure you have a little slack on the brack rod connection.
Check the high pressure connection to the back of the PS pump itself. I am dubious of the this one but look. ensure it is on a right turn scenario when you do
TOFIC

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
What does no assit mean?
Does it make a lot of noise?
Does it steer at all?
In that 4th pic, is that small line your suction line (the line from the pump to the Res?) or the return?

I can't feel any difference with the brakes and certainly no P/S assist. When I start it with the brake peddle on, it does depress slightly when I start the engine. I can tell the pump is pumping, but I can't tell if it's at the right pressure.

It doesn't make any noise... that's something else that's bothering me. No noice with brakes or steering or when both applied.

It steers manually, no issues there.

The hose that you are refering to is my return line. It's the one with the tee.

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
a few suggestions if i may
That is a remote reservoir pump, return one of the low pressure lines to the reservoir the other one to the pump itself, this will get rid of any possible back pressure issues a TEE could cause. The return to the reservoir is standard on the ASTRO van install.
Check the following for air/fluid leaks
The power steering box, the bottom of it. make sure someone is turning the wheel when you look. Also have someone turn the wheel while your checking the lines. You have to have pressure on the lines to see the leak.
Check the back of the HBoost. crawl under the dash and look. this is where you may get a leak from hboost. Ensure you have a little slack on the brack rod connection.
Check the high pressure connection to the back of the PS pump itself. I am dubious of the this one but look. ensure it is on a right turn scenario when you do
TOFIC

Not sure what you mean about running one to the pump? Are you talking about tapping into the larger "suck line" from the reservoir to the pump?

As far as leaks go, I do have a slight one right at the shaft splines on the box. I only noice a drip every once in a while. I haven't looked under the box, but nothing dripping to the ground yet. Do you think the housing is maybe cracked? I'll get my wife to help me tonight as I look for more leaks.

No leaks in the hydro. Since it's on the bracket, it's fully accessable. There is still slack in the rod. In fact I need to adjust it in some when I get this going.

What do you mean by "Check the high pressure connection to the back of the PS pump itself. I am dubious of the this one but look. ensure it is on a right turn scenario when you do"?

It kind of acts like the pump isn't kicking it's pressure up. Any way to test this?

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Success finally. Long story short - I replaced the P/S pump that I bought the other day.... I guess it was bad. Brakes and P/S are good now. That's a big check in the box.

Oh my, hydroboost brakes are strong!