• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Busting heads off bolts

abrdn419

Contributor
I havn't started my header install yet, but was wondering how common it is to bust a header bolt. I think the engine has been apart before but i'm not totally sure on that. Any steps I should take to prevent it from happening. I really don't what to have to remove my new intake, to remove the heads to have the bolt extracted.
Thanks

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Bolts

I assume your talking about removing the stock exhaust manifold bolt. The only thing I know to suggest is to tap each bolt on the head with a hammer before you begin to loosen then. This will usually help break loose any corrosion that has built up in the threads. Go at it slowly and make sure the bolt is backing out instead of swisting. You should be though the usually come out fine. Good luck.

elemetal

Loc.
Oakland, CA
Remember that heat causes things to expand so if you have one that won't come out, try getting the engine warm. Sometime this'll make 'em easier to unscrew, but watch those hot pipes!!