• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C-4 to NP435 install

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Let me just say, the CB forum is top notch but the search function just sucks...

Anywhoo, I am swapping the C-4 in my daughters bronco and trying to figure out what I need.
So besides the tranny itself, I'm thinking new starter, flex plate, flywheel.
What's the difference in driveshaft lengths, Can I use the one from the C-4?

TIA

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I was able to use my driveshafts w/o any mods, so hopefully that holds true for you also. Can't think of anything to add to your list other than the adapter. It's been a long time since mine was done.

Bronco 4 life

Loc.
Yakima
I did this a long time ago but drive shafts fit without modifying you will have to open up a decent hole in the tunnel... do you have a body lift? This will help because the 435 is tall.. remember your auto has a neutral safety switch you will have to wire together so you can start it .. the shifter will take some bending to get it to a good shifting point IE not hitting the dash in first third or hitting your passenger in the crotch for reverse or elbowing someone in the backseat going into 2 or 4 lol it’s not that bad but it is a big throw in my opinion.. you need the adapter, bell housing, clutch and flywheel, clutch linkages, peddle assembly, you need a pilot bearing or bushing for the crank should come it the clutch kit as well as a throw out bearing and I think that should get you guys down the road good luck and invest in a transmission jack! That bad boy is heavy!!!!!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Clutch linkage, clutch pedal, clutch pedal rod, clutch fork, manual bell housing, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bushing, NP435 to dana 20 adapter, manual spud shaft, transmission and shifter, fly wheel, manual starter, hole in the tunnel cover, hole in the floor for the clutch rod.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks everyone, the truck was originally a 3spd truck so all holes are accounted for. The tranny came with the bell housing, adaptor and all related components to make it work. Bronco has a 2” body lift so good to go there.

So I guess driveshafts May or may not work, but that’s ok.

Years ago I helped kbldawg install an np435 in his truck and yes the shifter was almost comical trying to make it work.

What was the name of the shirt throw shifter that was being produced for awhile??!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronco 4 life

Loc.
Yakima
Have you looked into the ax15? It will have much better road manners as far as shifting? I personally have not driven a bronco with one yet but I have had a few heeps with them. I am going to swap my 3spd for the ax15 and I have everything for the 435 but don’t care to use it anymore. I’m sure your daughter can bang gears with the best of us but I didn’t really enjoy my 435 on the street but if you guys are building a wheeler than heck ya it’s a cheap reliable way to go!

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Have you looked into the ax15? It will have much better road manners as far as shifting? I personally have not driven a bronco with one yet but I have had a few heeps with them. I am going to swap my 3spd for the ax15 and I have everything for the 435 but don’t care to use it anymore. I’m sure your daughter can bang gears with the best of us but I didn’t really enjoy my 435 on the street but if you guys are building a wheeler than heck ya it’s a cheap reliable way to go!

If I was going to do something different it would be the ZF or the NV3500. I have a ZF in my bronco and love it.
She doesn’t need anything fast and the 435 I have is rebuilt and ready to go, not to mention cheap. For a new manual driver I think the 435 will take the abuse too!

Bronco 4 life

Loc.
Yakima
If I was going to do something different it would be the ZF or the NV3500. I have a ZF in my bronco and love it.
She doesn’t need anything fast and the 435 I have is rebuilt and ready to go, not to mention cheap. For a new manual driver I think the 435 will take the abuse too!

Oh ya! once she is proficient grabbing gears with that tank she will be stealing your bronco with the ZF cause it will feel like a sports car lol!!!

Ya I agree if you already have it use it and it will for sure take the abuse of a beginner ....... if you cant find it grind it lol...JK

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have one with C4 and the other NP435 and the driveshafts are the same length (same lifts, springs, etc). I used my spare for the C4 when I got the NP435 Bronco ready for a test drive.

Something to consider, I put the neutral safety on a switch on the dash. Something else that has to be flipped to start but helps with hopping in and starting in gear, plus adds something else to slow down a thief.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have one with C4 and the other NP435 and the driveshafts are the same length (same lifts, springs, etc). I used my spare for the C4 when I got the NP435 Bronco ready for a test drive.

Something to consider, I put the neutral safety on a switch on the dash. Something else that has to be flipped to start but helps with hopping in and starting in gear, plus adds something else to slow down a thief.

Jim thanks for the input and I like the idea about the neutral safety switch since my daughter will be the primary driver.