• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C-5 trans an ok swap from a man 3-spd?

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Is a C-5 trans an ok swap for a stock 3-spd man trans? Is it very common, are there any special concerns or issues with this swap or should I go with something different? I have the option to get my hands on a C-5 for free it just needs to be rebuilt. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Ron

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The C-5 is a weak version in some respects of a C-4. the lock up converter and valve body are considered to be the bad parts. the rest of it is fine swap those for c-4 parts and its a c-4 might have problems hooking it up to a D20 tacse though as I think the spline count is different.

OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
It sounds like I should pass on the C-5 and go with something else, maybe the NP435. What is the most common swap that folks have been doing?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The NP 435 is very common and probably the cheapest swap. the C-4 is next but tends to cost a little more. Most of the swaps that people want nowadays are the OD tranny swaps all of which cost atleast double of what the 435 or C-4 swap but they are very good swaps.
All in all Id say the C-5 is best left for something else as it will cost more than just a C-4 swap in the end as you'll need C-4 parts to install it.