• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Band Adjustment Question

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
I need to replace the seals on the Band Adjusters on my C4. I'm sure somewhere along the line I'll get the adjustment out of place. Anyone have any specs on how to adjust these correctly? Or maybe point me to a thread on this subject? Also, what kind of seals are these? Are they just an O ring type seal?

All help appreciated!
Gordy

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
The seal is made onto the nut. You should be able to get them at a transmission shop. As for the adjustment, the front or intermediate band, you torque the center adjuster to 120in/lbs(10ft/lbs) then back it of exactly 4.5 turns. Then tighten the jam nut without moving the adjuster. Do the same for the rear or low/reverse band except only back it off 3 rounds.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
BUCKETOBOLTS said:
The seal is made onto the nut. You should be able to get them at a transmission shop. As for the adjustment, the front or intermediate band, you torque the center adjuster to 120in/lbs(10ft/lbs) then back it of exactly 4.5 turns. Then tighten the jam nut without moving the adjuster. Do the same for the rear or low/reverse band except only back it off 3 rounds.

Note: 4.5 turns on the front band is for C-5 ONLY! as these have a fine thread adjusting stud. If you adjust a C-4 this way the adjustment will be too loose.

I suggest for best results 120 in-lbs to properly seat the band then back off...
Front band 1.5 turns.*
Rear band 3.0 turns.
before tightening the jamb nut.

(*=These are not Ford specs, but speaking from experience they work well for high performance applications and will add longevity to the bands & servos)

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
BwoncoHowie said:
Note: 4.5 turns on the front band is for C-5 ONLY! as these have a fine thread adjusting stud. If you adjust a C-4 this way the adjustment will be too loose.

I suggest for best results 120 in-lbs to properly seat the band then back off...
Front band 1.5 turns.*
Rear band 3.0 turns.
before tightening the jamb nut.

(*=These are not Ford specs, but speaking from experience they work well for high performance applications and will add longevity to the bands & servos)

Sorry that was just off the top of my head...

I don't guess you have to readjust them but I would think it was good maintenance to do so.