• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 band adjustment..

TwoHorses

Loc.
Milwaukee
I found on another sight that when installing a shift kit... the band specs are different than the factory suggested numbers. Anybody know if this is true or not? Ford says 10 FOOT/pounds.... and if you were installing a shift kit such as the TransGo unit...you'd be setting the band spec to 10 INCH/pounds. Each with their own back off adjustments as well. My guy rebuilt the tranny with a B&M overhaul kit that I think included shift kit options. Is it possible the instructions didn't take this into consideration when specify the band specs?

I'm still trying to chase down my problems... and I'm wondering if my bands are over tight that it could be creating the havoc I'm having.

Anybody????

thanks.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I found on another sight that when installing a shift kit... the band specs are different than the factory suggested numbers. Anybody know if this is true or not? Ford says 10 FOOT/pounds.... and if you were installing a shift kit such as the TransGo unit...you'd be setting the band spec to 10 INCH/pounds. Each with their own back off adjustments as well. My guy rebuilt the tranny with a B&M overhaul kit that I think included shift kit options. Is it possible the instructions didn't take this into consideration when specify the band specs?

I'm still trying to chase down my problems... and I'm wondering if my bands are over tight that it could be creating the havoc I'm having.

Anybody????

thanks.

It is foot pounds but just snug will suffice, this transmission is not too pickey about the initial torque and even 5 Foot pounds (60 in.Lbs) will work well.

Back off the front band 1.5 turns and hold the stud while tightening the jamb-nut, and on the rear band exactly double that of the front, which would be 3-turns.

This is not a Ford or trans-go adjustment it is what works best in my opinion and experience for a broad range of C-4 applications valve body kits and driving types.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TwoHorses

TwoHorses

Loc.
Milwaukee
Man... this is really starting to drag me down.

My tranny guy came down today and we swapped in a different valve body. Pretty much the same issue. It shifts well into 2nd gear but just refuses to find 3rd. And then it just feel like a flare, as if it were in neutral until the speed and rpms come back down to engage into gear. We had reverse backing out of the garage to the road.... and then never had it again. No reverse at all.

The only thing that wasn't changed on the rebuild (B&M kit) was the modulator (push in type) and the torque converter. Is there any reason to think these could be the culprit? I pulled the line on the modulator and there wasn't any fluid in there indicating a failure. Could the converter just have gone bad? Does that happen? We carefully adjusted and re-adjust the bands numerous times.

I got an event planned this coming Saturday and I'm ready to just park the sumbitch for the summer and be done with it.

I hate automatics...

any ideas? Howie?

thanks for your time.

Last edited:

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Man... this is really starting to drag me down.

My tranny guy came down today and we swapped in a different valve body. Pretty much the same issue. It shifts well into 2nd gear but just refuses to find 3rd. And then it just feel like a flare, as if it were in neutral until the speed and rpms come back down to engage into gear. We had reverse backing out of the garage to the road.... and then never had it again. No reverse at all.

The only thing that wasn't changed on the rebuild (B&M kit) was the modulator (push in type) and the torque converter. Is there any reason to think these could be the culprit? I pulled the line on the converter and there wasn't any fluid in there indicating a failure. Could the converter just have gone bad? Does that happen? We carefully adjusted and re-adjust the bands numerous times.

I got an event planned this coming Saturday and I'm ready to just park the sumbitch for the summer and be done with it.

I hate automatics...

any ideas? Howie?

thanks for your time.

Not a lot of info to make a sure diagnosis, but sounds like the direct clutchpack has failed. Many things can contribute to a failure like this, thats why it is important to find out why before re assembling the trans. The torque converters are pretty stout on these things and if it were that, it wouldnt move at all. Because your problems are gear specific, I would have to say its more than likely inside the trans, especially if it had the same trouble with two different VBs. You hate automatics, I love em! BH