• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 leaking

bobbyray27

My C4 is leaking and it seems to be leaking wear the shifting linkage goes into the case, can this be fixed pretty easy or not? Where else may it be leaking from if not from there? Thanks for any help you can offer.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
The shift lever you refer to can be removed w/o having to drop the trans, check your manual. Also the two band adjuster nuts have a tendency to leak since they come with a one-time neoprene seal on them, $5 for both at your local trans shop. Your pan can also be leaking and your main seal inside the bell housing also.

OP
OP
B

bobbyray27

Thanks jedblake I changed the pan gasket already. I guess its about time I get a C4 service manual, is there a manual someone would recomend?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
If you suspect it is leaking from the linkage. There is a O-ring behind the kick down linkage. You'll have to remove the shift linkage, Neutral SS, and kick down. The O-ring is about flush with the case, so just dig it out with a small pic or screwdriver. Pretty simple to fix. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

bobbyray27

What holds the o-ring in place? My C4 does not have a Neutral SS on it. It was removed by the PO is this maybe why itis leaking?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The kickdown lever is the first to go back on, and that keeps the O-ring inside the case. I am using the Winters shifter, so I don't have the NSS either. The NSS slides over the gear selector shaft, then the linkage arm bolts on last and keeps everything together and tight.