• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 vent line...Got pics/tips?

Cooter_76

While I have my t-case out to replace the intermediate housing seal I might as well install a vent line for the transmission. Last night I pulled the vent out, but I don't think the fitting I bought is going to work.
I've searched for info on this subject. Some people have tapped the housing for a threaded fitting. Others have just used a push-in fitting w/JB weld.

Does anyone have pics of their setup? How about specific types/sizes of fittings? Also, where did you run your line and what do you have at the other end (filter? overflow bottle?)

Thanks

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
I taped mine while it was out of the Bronco, put a barbed fitting in it, then ran rubber hose up to a small filter mounted on the fire wall. Looks good and keeps the end of the vent up out of the way when crossing streams or going through water/mud. Most of the auto parts stores sell the generic small filters with a chrome base and cap.

I did the same thing with my axle vents. I ran the front one up and mounted the filter on the firewall, and ran the back one up by the filler hose for my rear gas tank.

Last edited:

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I also tapped mine with a 1/8 pipe tap. Installed a barbed fitting and ran a rubber hose up to the firewall. I also vented my transfer case the same way.

silverbullet

Loc.
Columbia, MO
I tapped the Trans. breather and added a 90deg fitting on the end. I believe it was 1/8 npt. The T-case housing already had the same size fitting on it. I then ran 3/8" line from both into the engine compartment and hooked both lines to a breather from JEGS that has two imputs. You can find one in the Import section. It has a small resevoir on it with a small pet-cok on the end to drain any fluid. It has proved to work good so far. Here are some pics.

Dave

Attachments

• Breather Bottle.jpg
    Breather Bottle.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Breather 2.jpg
    Breather 2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Trans Brather Line.jpg
    Trans Brather Line.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 77
  • T-Case Breather.jpg
    T-Case Breather.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 89

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
silverbullet said:
I tapped the Trans. breather and added a 90deg fitting on the end. I believe it was 1/8 npt. The T-case housing already had the same size fitting on it. I then ran 3/8" line from both into the engine compartment and hooked both lines to a breather from JEGS that has two imputs. You can find one in the Import section. It has a small resevoir on it with a small pet-cok on the end to drain any fluid. It has proved to work good so far. Here are some pics.

Dave

That is a sweet idea! Very clean! Looks like it has a little K&N on it.;D

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

Silverbullet, that's exactly what I was looking for!:cool:

Thanks for all the replies.

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

I searched high and Lowes for fittings like those in SilverBullet's pics, but found nothing. :-[ I finally settled on a 1/4" NPT fitting. I don't have a body lift and am concered about clearance with the hose installed, so I'm thinking about cutting a few of the barbs off.

Comments/suggestions?

Attachments

• Vent1.jpg
    Vent1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Vent2.jpg
    Vent2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Vent3.jpg
    Vent3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Vent5.jpg
    Vent5.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 34

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Cooter_76 said:
I searched high and Lowes for fittings like those in SilverBullet's pics, but found nothing. :-[ I finally settled on a 1/4" NPT fitting. I don't have a body lift and am concered about clearance with the hose installed, so I'm thinking about cutting a few of the barbs off.

Comments/suggestions?
Adding a brass street elbow will give you the clearance you need without shortening the barbs. Use plenty of teflon-tape to seal the threads. Rtv will also seal the threads in this application as long as the parts are free of oil during assembly.

OP
OP
Cooter_76

Cooter_76

BwoncoHowie said:
Adding a brass street elbow will give you the clearance you need without shortening the barbs. Use plenty of teflon-tape to seal the threads. Rtv will also seal the threads in this application as long as the parts are free of oil during assembly.

Any idea where I can find a brass street elbow? I've checked home improvement stores, a plumbing supply shop, and an irrigation supply store.

I've got some teflon paste for sealing the threads.

Thanks!

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
The NAPA stores usually have a good assortment of brass. I have seen them at Lowes too.