• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

California Assembly Bill 550, Smog Exemption/Abatement

mikej

I recently heard that CA Assemblywoman Waldron introduced a bill (AB 550) that may help us who have 1976 and newer classic broncos in CA. The bill states the following:

Introduced by Assembly Member Waldron

February 23, 2015

An act to add Section 44011.7 to the Health and Safety Code, relating to vehicular air pollution.

LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST

AB 550, as amended, Waldron. Smog check: exemption: fee.
Existing law establishes a motor vehicle inspection and maintenance program, commonly known as smog check, that is administered by the Department of Consumer Affairs. The smog check program requires inspection of motor vehicles upon initial registration, biennially upon renewal of registration, upon transfer of ownership, and in certain other circumstances. Existing law exempts specified vehicles from being inspected biennially upon renewal of registration, including, among others, all motor vehicles manufactured prior to the 1976 model-year. Existing law establishes an annual smog abatement fee for specified motor vehicles exempt from being inspected biennially upon renewal of registration.
Existing law establishes the Air Quality Improvement Program that is administered by the State Air Resources Board for the purposes of funding projects related to, among other things, the reduction of criteria air pollutants and the improvement of air quality. Existing law requires, until January 1, 2024, that a portion of the registration fees for motor vehicles and vessels be deposited into the Air Quality Improvement Fund and, upon appropriation, be expended for the implementation of the program. Existing law specifies the types of projects that are eligible to receive funding under the program.
This bill would allow an owner of a motor vehicle that is owners of certain motor vehicles that are subject to the smog check program to pay a $200 smog abatement fee in lieu of passing a smog test if the motor vehicle meets specified criteria. The bill would require the fee to be deposited in the Air Quality Improvement Fund.
DIGEST KEY
Vote: majority Appropriation: no Fiscal Committee: yes Local Program: no
BILL TEXT
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. The Legislature finds and declares all of the following:
(a) Prior to 2005, California law contained a rolling exemption from the smog check requirements for motor vehicles that are more than 30 years old.
(b) In 2004, the Legislature enacted Chapter 704 of the Statutes of 2004, which replaced the rolling exemption with a fixed exemption for motor vehicles manufactured prior to 1976.
(c) As a result, motor vehicles manufactured after 1976 remain subject to the smog check requirements for the entire life of the vehicle.
SECTION 1.SEC. 2. Section 44011.7 is added to the Health and Safety Code, to read:
44011.7. (a) The owner of a motor vehicle that is required to obtain a certificate of compliance pursuant to Section 44011 may elect to pay a smog abatement fee of two hundred dollars ($200) if the motor vehicle meets all of the following criteria:
(1) Is 30 or more model-years old.
(2) Was manufactured during or after the 1976 model-year.
(3) Fails a smog test required pursuant to this chapter.
(4) Fails a subsequent smog test after necessary repairs were made.
(b) Payment of the smog abatement fee established pursuant to this section shall be made to the Department of Motor Vehicles at the time of the registration of the motor vehicle.
(c) Fees collected pursuant to this section shall be deposited in the Air Quality Improvement Fund created by Section 44274.5.
(d) This section does not apply to diesel-powered motor vehicles or motorcycles.

Has anyone from CA spoken to smog referees regarding this bill?

My '77 has been sitting in storage in MA for a few years. I'd sure like to bring it to CA and not sell it. I currently have NO emission controls on my engine.

Any comments from my fellow CA brothers and sisters?

suckerpunched

Just bring it out and leave it registered back there.

X2 keep the out of state plates if you can. I doubt the bill passes, but I hope it does. these bills have come and gone, some want to exempt vehicles newer than 76, some want to smog a model T. none ever seem to pass. maybe the money will talk (since thats what it is really about) and it will pass. I'm not holding my breath.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It doesn't solve anyone problem just would add $200.00 to the state tax system.
You still have to take a smog test and fail. $80.00 or so. Then fix the truck and replace all the parts and retest and then fail.
Then you would have to go to the DMV and pay the added tax to be able to drive you truck around for another 2 years unless you get labeled a gross polluter then I think the exemption is only 1 year. This bill sounds good on paper but doesn't deal with all the other laws still on the books that are not integrated into this lay.

suckerpunched

It doesn't solve anyone problem just would add $200.00 to the state tax system.
You still have to take a smog test and fail. $80.00 or so. Then fix the truck and replace all the parts and retest and then fail.
Then you would have to go to the DMV and pay the added tax to be able to drive you truck around for another 2 years unless you get labeled a gross polluter then I think the exemption is only 1 year. This bill sounds good on paper but doesn't deal with all the other laws still on the books that are not integrated into this lay.

well now that you put it that way, it sounds like something that actually could pass in california.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
Just another way to milk us of money. Just go to a smog place that will "hook" you up. A few years back, when I was a struggling college student, I had an '81 Bronco. It never passed emissions, but a few extra $20s later, I had a "passed" inspection sent to Sacramento.

707Bronk

In Lake County, CA you don't have smog requirements. Only time you have to smog anything is when you transfer title. New or old, doesn't matter.

If you know someone who lives there, preferably family, just register your Bronco in Lake County and have them mail you the tags.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
In Lake County, CA you don't have smog requirements. Only time you have to smog anything is when you transfer title. New or old, doesn't matter.

If you know someone who lives there, preferably family, just register your Bronco in Lake County and have them mail you the tags.

This is interesting. I have always heard that rural areas (I assume you live in a rural area) in CA. are exempt from smog. And I think this may prove it.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
There's no requirement for proof of residency to register a vehicle for use ANYWHERE in state, nor is there any specific law citing what "use" defines. A certified residency mailing address is all that is legally required. There are 28 counties with no smog requirements.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq#BM2539

maps.google.com

Shows addresses in counties / zip codes not listed.

I think that's all I'm going to put out there on a public forum.

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

Thanks for the input

Sorry for taking so long to respond. For some reason I thought this account pinged my email when there was a response, but I guess that is just for PM's. Since my '77 is sitting in a parking garage 3k miles away and I can't work on her my vagina hurts when I come on here cause I miss her!! Ha Ha.

I live and work in the Bay Area, so I know some D-Bag from my work (who drives a leaf) would probably report me if I kept the out of state tags on her. It's a chick, so I can't exactly square off on her either.

I have seen that there are counties that don't require smog checks but when I check all the zips I can't find any that say exempt. I'll have to check lake county.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
For those affected, concerned, or interested:

SEMA Action Network-
California Reintroduces Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles from Emissions Inspection Requirement
Legislation (S.B. 1239) has been reintroduced in the California Senate by Senator Ted Gaines to exempt all motor vehicles prior to the 1981 model year from the emissions inspection requirement. Current law requires the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. The bill will be considered in the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee.
You Can Shape the Course of This Proposal
Request support for this legislation by using the following SAN website link for an overview and lawmaker contact.

Go to SAN

Motomaniac

Sorry for taking so long to respond. For some reason I thought this account pinged my email when there was a response, but I guess that is just for PM's. Since my '77 is sitting in a parking garage 3k miles away and I can't work on her my vagina hurts when I come on here cause I miss her!! Ha Ha.

I live and work in the Bay Area, so I know some D-Bag from my work (who drives a leaf) would probably report me if I kept the out of state tags on her. It's a chick, so I can't exactly square off on her either.

I have seen that there are counties that don't require smog checks but when I check all the zips I can't find any that say exempt. I'll have to check lake county.

Trinity county is exempt. I have a p.o.box in Hayfork and my jeep is registered there. I live in Shasta county which is not exempt, but my bronco is a 68 so I have no worries about it.
Just FYI you need a proof of residence to get a p.o.box and require a yearly renewal but they are free (I have a lease agreement for a piece of property up in the mountains) one good thing all of trinity county is very rural. Nothing but small towns and pot growers.

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

Very useful

Some really useful information here. Registered on the SEMA Action Network. I work at a refinery where the Bay Area Air Quality Management District is very strict with it's regs, but the CARB smog strangle-hold on older autos is ridiculous. Most people in this area own daily drivers that are newer than 1981 therefore the combined emission from pre-1981 autos must be quite low.

Thanks for the info motomaniac, very useful.