• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

California off road light law ?

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
What is the law in cal reguarding off road lights <br>ie. when do they have to be covered <br> If they are on the bumper can you use them as driving lights.? Like hi beams<br><br>

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I added the hella street legal headlights. They are a HUGE improvement over the regular halogens. You can also buy brighter(non legal) replacement bulbs for em for off road.

Rusted1

[quote author=Jeep Slayer link=board=5;threadid=12975;start=0#97400 date=1041809542]
What is the law in cal reguarding off road lights
ie. when do they have to be covered
If they are on the bumper can you use them as driving lights.? Like hi beams

[/quote] Section 24411 CVC- Must be turned off and covered when driving on a hwy. Limit 8, mounted not less than 16in. from ground or over 12 in. above the top of the passenger compartment and wired indepedently of all other lighting circuits.

In other words, offroad lights can not be used on the hwy in Ca. I would imagine that you could get by with using them in a pinch if your regular lights took a dump.

lpsolo

Loc.
Fresno, CA
Rusted1 is right! I learned the hard way. Was running on a windy mountain road with the KC dayliters on. Rounded a corner and blinded a Sheriff. Got pulled over and read the riot act. Was able to get out of a ticket because the truck was registered to my brother in Oregon and I told him that I thought that they were legal driving lites. ;D

Landshark

Loc.
California
[quote author=Jeep Slayer link=board=5;threadid=12975;start=0#97400 date=1041809542]<br>What is the law in cal reguarding off road lights <br>ie. when do they have to be covered <br> If they are on the bumper can you use them as driving lights.? Like hi beams<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Agree on as stated on other replies, but you also<br>must have them wired into a separate switch, then<br>through the high beam switch. Found that the hard<br>way.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
As long as they are 50Watts or less and they are flood type driving lights and not spot beams. But then they would need to be aimed properly and mounted in the vicinity of the factory headlamps (below the bumper or in front of the grill) and never used in absence of the factory headlamps. Only then you might get away with running no covers. Roll bar mounts and above cab mounts need to be covered always during Hiway driving. <br><br>One time I put 150W aircraft landing lights in a factory GT light bar on a 65 Mustang and didn't get hassled because they looked stock. But I used them specifically to pi$$ off oncoming traffic only when they wouldn't dim their high beams. ;D Just my .02 worth<br><br>

Landshark

Loc.
California
[quote author=tholmes3 link=board=5;threadid=12975;start=0#98142 date=1042045052]<br>Are the laws similar in Texas?<br><br><br>T3<br>[/quote]<br><br>Don't quite know, when I'm out there<br>I sure do see a lot without covers. In<br>California you could get a ticket if their<br>not covered. Try the DPS site, it should<br>have your answers.

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
[quote author=SteveL link=board=5;threadid=12975;start=0#97765 date=1041927582]<br> I added the hella street legal headlights. They are a HUGE improvement over the regular halogens. You can also buy brighter(non legal) replacement bulbs for em for off road.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Can you do this without going to some headlight relay setup without overloading the circuits?<br><br>Ed<br>