• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam specs

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Emailed my engine build plans and vehicle information to Comp Cams and they sent me back a cam recommendation. I wanted to see if you guys agree with the suggested cam.

5.8 roller .30 over
Trick Flow 170s
Performer RPM intake
650 carb
9-9.5:1 compression
Shorty headers into a single 3" exhaust
4 speed manual (Np435)
4:10 gears
35" tires

My thinking is a can give up a little low end with the 351 and NP 435. I want to be able to cruise 70 on the highway without winding out so that's my thinking on gearing/tire size. I told Comp I wanted a cam with strong mid range power that doesn't fall on its face at 5K and I don't mind a little lope at idle. Im not planning on rock crawling. Just moderate trails and maybe some mud. Mostly just a street and play truck. Heres the cam they suggested

35-421-8
1500-5000 rpms
Duration @ 50 218/224
.513 lift

What do you guys think?

rguest3

Bronco Guru
This Cam is listed as a Retrofit Cam. Which means it is designed to go in a block that was not originally a roller set up. (Hydraulic Flat tappet from factory)

If you have a 351w F4TE Roller Block, this Cam, I don't think, is correct for your application. I think you need to double check with Comp Cams to make sure.

I just completed a 351w build with a 351w F4TE Roller Block and installed a 5.0 Cam in it. (Both are roller blocks from factory and same firing order) I chose the XE266HR for my 351w. This Cam sounds like it may be what you are looking for.

This XE266HR Cam is Very nice with a Carburetor, and it is EFI friendly if you choose to convert in the future.. 216,224 Duration - .544,.555 Lift with 112 Lobe separation.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
This Cam is listed as a Retrofit Cam. Which means it is designed to go in a block that was not originally a roller set up. (Hydraulic Flat tappet from factory)

If you have a 351w F4TE Roller Block, this Cam, I don't think, is correct for your application. I think you need to double check with Comp Cams to make sure.

I just completed a 351w build with a 351w F4TE Roller Block and installed a 5.0 Cam in it. (Both are roller blocks from factory and same firing order) I chose the XE266HR for my 351w. This Cam sounds like it may be what you are looking for.

This XE266HR Cam is Very nice with a Carburetor, and it is EFI friendly if you choose to convert in the future.. 216,224 Duration - .544,.555 Lift with 112 Lobe separation.

Thank you. I had a feeling I should ask here before I made any descisions. Especially after I told the guy it was going in a 94-96 5.8 roller block and he ask me if it was a Cleveland. lol What heads and CR are you running? Where does the cam make power and whats the idle like? Thanks!

rguest3

Bronco Guru
I have the GT40X Aluminum Heads
XE266HR Cam
Edelbrock RPM manifold
@ 9.2 compression
600 Holley

1" body lift needed to clear stock hood with the RPM intake.

Cam has a slight lope at idle. Just enough to let you know there is a Cam in there. Excellent throttle response and winds up to 5500.

I would also recommend the complete K-kit so all the valve-train matches. At least make sure your current springs in the Trick Flows are compatible.

Sorry to hear there was some confusion with Comp. They are usually spot on with recommendations and knowledge.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Thanks man. That actually sounds exactly like what Im looking for. I don't have the heads yet. Just everything for the bottom end. And now you've got me looking at those Turbo Swirls. lol

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Other than you not needing a retro fit cam the specs they listed out are about what you asked for. basically listed as a 270 vs the 266 that rguest3 has. only real differance is the 266 is made for EFi engines.
Comp cams actually doesnt list any roller cams for 5.8l engines they are all retro fit. So thats why they recommended what they did.

In all actuality a stock HO roller cam would work just fine in your engine. They make a whole lot more power than you think. Of course you probably wouldnt get the rough idle your wanting. But I have heard some nice sounding stock stangs. all comes down to exhuast

Amac70

ME
I'm running a 35 510 8 in my 5.8 roller, it is a little less duration and a little more lift then what they recommended, I've got edelbrock heads and gt 40 intake. Can't say enough about this cam. great off idle response and then at about 3k it really takes off again. mine revs out with lots of power all the way to 6k.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Not a 351... But I am running the XE266HR in my 347 with edelbrock performer RPM heads, matched Comp springs and port matched Explorer GT40 efi... Plenty of power thru 5500, nice light lope to let you know there is a Cam. I am running 4.56 gears and 37s with a C4. Holds its own on the highway, but not very efficient on fuel... ;D

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Other than you not needing a retro fit cam the specs they listed out are about what you asked for. basically listed as a 270 vs the 266 that rguest3 has. only real differance is the 266 is made for EFi engines.
Comp cams actually doesnt list any roller cams for 5.8l engines they are all retro fit. So thats why they recommended what they did.

In all actuality a stock HO roller cam would work just fine in your engine. They make a whole lot more power than you think. Of course you probably wouldnt get the rough idle your wanting. But I have heard some nice sounding stock stangs. all comes down to exhuast

Good to know. Admittedly I know squat about cams. Power and drivability is what Im looking for. I just wouldn't mind a little lope at idle if I can get it without sacrificing too much low end. But performance is definitely more important to me than noise. When you say a "stock HO roller" are you talking about a 302? I don't know much about HO either. lol. I basically don't know anything!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes talking about the stock 5.0 HO cam. It can support close to 400 hp in a 5.0. Good flowing heads and exhuast actually rasie the powerband.
Compared some dyno tests stock HO cam AFR heads and comps XE264 with AFR's and the numbers were very close. probably would see very little differance at the track.
Still the 351W can use a larger cam and see less lowend loss. plus with the NP435 you probably wont notice any losses.
I just like to bring up the fact that the stock roller cams are pretty darn good. Just for another comparison cant remember the test engine specs but they ran a XE264 then swapped in a XE270 gain was only about 15hp that would show up on the track but you probably wouldnt notice it on the street. Not saying that cams shouldnt be swapped as different cams put the power in different areas so it all boils down to where you want the power to be.

latrucker

Contributor
A custom cam from comp is only about $30-40 more than an OTS and well worth it. It's tailored to exactly what your running (intake, exhaust, stall conv, gear ratio, vehicle weight, etc.) and what you want to accomplish with it. It's worth the extra money in my opinion, very happy with mine. Tons of low end and pulls strong till 6000 rpm.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
x2 what latrucker said... I got three different cam recommendations from 3 different techs at Comp when I called with my specs.

I went with a custom grind on my stroker.