• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Camshaft Recommendations

fbooth

Loc.
Salt Lake City, UT
My 302 has 140,000 original miles and it aint pretty, I’m thinking it’s time to rebuild.

What camshaft would you all recommend for a mild hop up?

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For everyday street driving with good throttle response with nice low end torque, go with a Comp Cams XE256H. A little more RPM range, go with the XE262H.

As with any engine build, get your Valve Train parts as a package. Get the complete "K-Kit" with either cam to make things easier and all the parts will match - made to work together.

Complete build with cleaned up Heads (with Comp new valve train goodies), Headers, Edelbrock Performer 4-Barrel intake and 470-600 cfm carb.

That would be a sweet 302 in your Bronco.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
For everyday street driving with good throttle response with nice low end torque, go with a Comp Cams XE256H. A little more RPM range, go with the XE262H.

As with any engine build, get your Valve Train parts as a package. Get the complete "K-Kit" with either cam to make things easier and all the parts will match - made to work together.

Complete build with cleaned up Heads (with Comp new valve train goodies), Headers, Edelbrock Performer 4-Barrel intake and 470-600 cfm carb.

That would be a sweet 302 in your Bronco.

Yea...what he said...haha

That does sound perfect.

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Not to hi-jack or anything, but I just punched the first number into Summit and they have 4 different kits with 4 different prices for the same cam part number. What gives??

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
I would suggest using a 351 w cam in a 302 much more choices of cam and a better firing order which is easier on the rotating assembly. I used one in my engine.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
cldonley - Some Cam Makers have associated part options as well. I guess this is what you saw?

Cam Only

Cam and Lifters

Cam, Lifters and Timing Chain

Full "K-Kit"

Just depends on what you need or want. Different kits with the same Cam.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id suggest somthing like the edelbrock perfromer cam or something with similar specs. I personally like crane cams. Also you can call a few cam companys and get there suggestions. as your engine build drivetrain and driving needs all factor into cam selection.

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
cldonley - Some Cam Makers have associated part options as well. I guess this is what you saw?

Cam Only

Cam and Lifters

Cam, Lifters and Timing Chain

Full "K-Kit"

Just depends on what you need or want. Different kits with the same Cam.

There was very little detail in the listing. It's usually best to call with these things. I used an Isky cam set up for torque in my last build and it gave me some great low end torque, but I've never gone the kit route; maybe I will this time!

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I have the Crane H-260-2 cam. I like the dual duration cams with stock heads. This cam works well with my setup.

matts460

I too have had great luck with Crane cams! And i had one Edlebrock Performer RPM cam round off a lobe bummer! But may have been my fault with valvetrain adj. I replaced with a Crane power max cam it was a nice choise for my 460!! Good luck!