• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can 1 person install a Hood?

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I was able to get the hood in place with no problem by wrapping it in a comforter, but when I raised it the bolt holes in the hinges did not look accessible.

Does the hood have to be vertical to install hinges to cowl? Could I use a block of wood between the hood and cowl as a spacer/paint saver?

May have to enlist the wife (son is in a cast) IIRC my Mustang hood was a feather compared to this thing!

Attachments

• F6E741DB-5864-447B-8D98-743A0564EADC.jpg
    F6E741DB-5864-447B-8D98-743A0564EADC.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 5D18927E-2935-4771-8217-9A678467F40D.jpg
    5D18927E-2935-4771-8217-9A678467F40D.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I have taken mine off and put it back on by myself. I just tied it to ceiling beams. I covered what I could with towels to protect from mishaps when installing. It doesn’t have to be vertical. Just high enough to get the wrench in place. The airbox gets in the way a little.... if you have it supported properly, from several points, all the weight is off of it and it’s really not difficult.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
I just put mine back on last night. I had an extra set of hands. I suppose if you put a blanket on the windshield (so you can lean the hood all the way back to access the bolts) and do one side at a time. Maybe run a strap from the ceiling to the hood latch or similar to be safe also. Once you get the bolts started there's enough room to throw shims in there with the hood partially closed.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Them are the heaviest hoods in the world. They are the hardest part of the bronco to do by yourself. You might have to borrow a neighbor. Ken

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I have taken mine off and put it back on by myself. I just tied it to ceiling beams. I covered what I could with towels to protect from mishaps when installing. It doesn’t have to be vertical. Just high enough to get the wrench in place. The airbox gets in the way a little.... if you have it supported properly, from several points, all the weight is off of it and it’s really not difficult.

I've done it this way also. Ratchet strap to rafter works well. But having a helper is easier and safer.

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
I've installed mine solo several times. It's a bear and terrifying that it will slip and crash down on the windshield or fenders. Unfortunately I can be stubborn and usually don't want to wait for help to arrive.

My hinges have one hole cut as an open ended slot. In other words, I can thread in one bolt on each side of the firewall before installing the hood. This allows me to lift the hood hinges onto the half threaded bolt and then tilt the hood vertically to tighten and add the additional bolts. Without "latching" the hinge on the half threaded bolt, it would very difficult to keep the hood in a vertical position without having it slip backwards.

With that said, I would recommend two people. ;D

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks for the tips folks, this reminded me, when I went to see my body man Tuesday he mentioned that he has tried everything to remove the hood pin/spring assembly but no luck. I told him I'd ask around...pic is for reference, not mine

Attachments

• HoodPin.jpg
    HoodPin.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 104

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the tips folks, this reminded me, when I went to see my body man Tuesday he mentioned that he has tried everything to remove the hood pin/spring assembly but no luck. I told him I'd ask around...pic is for reference, not mine

I scrapped my hood trying to free that damn thing. My hood was a wreck anyway but...I soaked, heated it, vibrated it with an impact hammer, cut the spring and used pipe wrench on the shank. I even heated until it was really hot and sprayed it with cold water to get it to move. Nothing.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
As stated soak in PB Blaster. From inside the lip too. Turn the big nut and it should come out. Once out you can put it in a vice and adjust the length of it with a straight slot screwdriver from the slit on the pointed end.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Channel lock on the large nut against the hood. Just did mine last week. Rusted worse and no PB Blaster used.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Channel lock on the large nut against the hood. Just did mine last week. Rusted worse and no PB Blaster used.

One of my first lessons right after I got my Bronco and proceeded to break off both windshield knobs was, never again remove anything without PB blaster ;) lucky you!

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
I've never had a problem with it - in fact, I can usually do so with just one hand...
Lou_ferrigno_233.jpg

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have a 68 hood with the latch on it and used a chain hoist to lift it up....