• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

can i use 78-79 bronco radius arms on my eb to achieve having longer arms?

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have not researched this idea, just a thought. figured some of you might have an answer ;)

I have a 76 eb with a dana 44 I figured the radius arms attach to my axle the same as the big bronco.

since im already ordering drop brackets for my existing radius arms i figured maybe I could snag a couple radius arms off a junk 78-79 if there a little longer and achieve a little more travel out of my front end?

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
same exact size, and like Garberz said-the spring cup holes are farther apart

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thx guys. I don't feel like spending big dollars for another 6 inches of travel, so unless someone has a better idea il just put the radius arm drop brackets on for now. I'm only going up 3.5 inches. Suspension only & the po put new c bushings in. (i hope they're degree bushings)

mrw

Loc.
MassHole
There are a few cheaper alternatives to buying long arms. You could fab up your own, BMC has posted pics of his and there are outfits that sell extensions that you weld on. Look into it so you can make an educated decision.

CORE4WD

Loc.
Virginia Beach
There are a few cheaper alternatives to buying long arms. You could fab up your own, BMC has posted pics of his and there are outfits that sell extensions that you weld on. Look into it so you can make an educated decision.

I did a combo of both. Labor intensive depending on what tools you have but definitely good on the wallet. See Bronco Driver issue #13 Page 64. Well worth the travel plus they protect the driveshaft while dropping off ledges! They're not "tucked up" along frame rails like some are. ;D

custom-cruiser

Loc.
Boise,ID
Here is the Bronco driver mag write-up product.
radius_arm_stud-249x181.jpg

http://www.stonecrushersteering.com/OTHER_PRODUCTS.html

Anybody have any real world experience with them?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thx guys. I don't feel like spending big dollars for another 6 inches of travel, so unless someone has a better idea il just put the radius arm drop brackets on for now. I'm only going up 3.5 inches. Suspension only & the po put new c bushings in. (i hope they're degree bushings)

You don't need to use drop brackets for a 3.5" lift.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I used the extensions and am very happy thus far. When we welded the brackets back on we gave them about a 3-5 degree rake to keep the bushings lined up straight.

Attachments

• 1 Frame Fab (1026).JPG
    1 Frame Fab (1026).JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 3 Going Together (1013).jpg
    3 Going Together (1013).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 88

Nightmare Bronc

I think the arms on a 77-78 F150 are longer. Yeah the spring cup mounting holes are different as well.

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
wow dont know how I missed all this great input from you guys, guess im not subscribed to my own thread!? anyways...

Exactly, that's why they make 7 degree bushings. Heck, I still run 4* with my 3.5" coils. Now I have my steering dialed in, it's great at 70+ mph.
Mark

I was told by the guys down at jbg that using degree bushings is fine for a 3.5 inch lift but convinced me that im still not addressing the issue of better travel. that is why i decided to go with drop brackets. they said if I did drop brackets I wont have to do the degree bushings and will get more travel out of the front end. it made sense so I ordered the drop brackets. now Im concerned that the lower hanging brackets will be more suceptable to catching rocks and what not when im wheeling.

any input on the negative/positive effects of drop brackets? btw I have a 76 eb with ps & pb front discs. 302 C4 d20 (just in case)

Im very interested in fabbing some extended radius arms. Im not concerened with the extra labor, im more concerned with the pros vs cons to just dropping the existing radius arms vs fabbing extended arms.

the only negative long term issue I see with drop brackets is clearance

Fabbing extended arms raises a couple questions but I will read the article on it before I ask so I wont be redundant

mortimersnerd

I've got the same question. My Bronco came with drop brackets installed and they've got an awful lot of rock scrapes on them. Seems like the longer arms would allow equal travel with better clearance and potentially better reliability as there is less leverage on the bracket.

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
yeah those drop brackets arent cheap either! $125 I figure buying those is the same cost as the radius arm extensions. of course ill still need brackets lol

Im really not trying to get carried away with my eb. I lifted the rear and now im lifting the front to match. however the front takes a lot more careful planning to be done right and not spend gobs of cash.

for those of you who are following this thread:

If I decide to extend my existing arms how much length should I go with? just 3.5 inches of suspension lift for now. down the road maybe 2 more inches suspension and 1 inch of body for the new motor tranny tc setup (talking 5 years from now minimum!)

If I extend the arms do i still have to do degree bushings? or is that something I decide after the new arms are in?

Ill probably go with the heim joint style extension so ill use there heim joint bracket as well. if I go this route will I still have to remove the old bracket? I imagine it would be in the way of the new longer arm right? and if the old bracket has to be removed then im thinking ill just cut just the part of the old bracket that is hanging below the frame.

Thx guys, ill incorporate the specs of my eb down at the bottom of my replies so you wont have to keep asking

for now: 76 ps pb d44 discs in front 302 C4 D20 33x12.50X15

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
I used the drop brackets first. They were expensive- $170 for the ones I used! They gave alot of good travel though, but they also hung down low.
Eventually I built extended long arms, the travel was about the same I thought, but clearance was much better. I used Degreed bushings for both setups.

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
ok, ill probably end up returning the drop brackets. oh well live and learn. once I have the radius arms off I can see if the bushings on there are degreed already. they're definiteley not stock and i know one of the last po's put taller springs in since I bought it with 33's. from what ive been reading the stock broncos couldnt handle that size tire without being lifted.

hope you guys can still answer some questions up above. thx!