• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I Use Mobil 1 ATF in my C4?

utahmike

Loc.
Spanish Fork
I am having a tranmission service done and i think i would like to put Mobil 1 ATF. it says it "surpasses off-highway power tranmission requirements of Allison C-4." also it is recomended for vehicles requiring Mercon, Dexron III AND IIE. My tranny shop says its fine but i would like to know anyone elses opnion. i already know about type F fluid, i just thought if compatible this may be a better product. Talk to me Goose...

TIA
-Mike-

Last edited:

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
I've did some research on amsoil syn. products. their basic
ATF listed the same as the mobil1 you are looking at. But they (amsoil) had another form of syn. that that said type F, it was listed as for racing transmissions.
I would look for one that says type F.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
flint_knapper said:
ATF listed the same as the mobil1 you are looking at. But they (amsoil) had another form of syn. that that said type F, it was listed as for racing transmissions.

If you want to run synthetic Amsoil type F is better for your C-4.
Many people have used Dexrons in their C-4s without problems but I would never recommend it

OP
OP
utahmike

utahmike

Loc.
Spanish Fork
flint_knapper said:

I looked hard at amsoils syth motor oil, when i was deciding to go synthetic last year, but i got to tell ya i cant bring myself to buy from a multi level marketing company, i HATE them! plus i dont like the fact i have to mail order thier products. Mobil 1 has a good reputation, i would love to hear from anyone who has used it in thier tranmission and had good or bad experiences. i think i will call them on monday and ask them direct also.

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
It don't matter to me whos name is on it, just make sure it is for type F.
I have not researched any others, There is a guy at where
I work that sales amsoil, he thought that the regular syn. atf would work. But I kept after him for the different types they make and found out that they do make one just for high horsepower motors AND is RATED for TYPE F. I'm sure others do too. It may just have to be special ordered. :p

Shubyjames

Loc.
Tunkhannock, PA
whats the difference in type F and the other?

I don’t know the exact chemistry behind them, but Type F is thicker and has more of a base to it. The Dextrons and Mecrons are noticeably thinner. I’m not the one who engineered the C4, but those who did chose Type F for a reason. One of my friends races Fords for a living and all his cars have C4’s in them. When I built my C4 I sought out his experience, and he was adamant about one thing, he told me never use synthetics in the C4 because they are too thin, even the Type F ones that are out there. He told me every car he raced using a synthetic he blew the tranny because they couldn’t handle the load.

66horse

Bronco Guru
utahmike said:
I looked hard at amsoils syth motor oil, when i was deciding to go synthetic last year, but i got to tell ya i cant bring myself to buy from a multi level marketing company, i HATE them! plus i dont like the fact i have to mail order thier products. Mobil 1 has a good reputation, i would love to hear from anyone who has used it in thier tranmission and had good or bad experiences. i think i will call them on monday and ask them direct also.

Just so you know, you can get amsoil at offraod warehouse. Not sure if theya re involved in the multi level marketing, jsut thought Iw ould let you know.

rednck21

never use synthetics in a C4!? i thought that stuff was the best to use.?:?

Shubyjames

Loc.
Tunkhannock, PA
never use synthetics in a C4!? i thought that stuff was the best to use.

There are pros and cons for both. Synthetics have come along way and still need to go a little further. In general, synthetics are better than standard oils for their longevity, but have characteristics that are not always favorable in every situation; thus, certain conditions may make you choose the regular stuff. My friend the racer pushes the C4s to the limit. His are all tricked out and run at constant high RPMs unlike our Broncos. For the Bronco owner a synthetic wouldn’t bother it. You could do a test for yourself to prove the difference between them. Get regular Type F and synthetic Type F and simply rub them between your fingers. You will notice immediately that the regular is thicker and spongy-like compared to the synthetic, which is smooth, but like water.

Type F is a unique blend, and I agree with some of the other comments in this post and that is not to substitute it with any “non” Type F fluid.

Just mi2

VT_Don

fluid

Type F was originally formulated for asbestos composition friction materials, clutches and bands. Current production friction materials as manufactured by both BorgWarner and Raybestos no longer contain asbestos. So, using a current spec Mercon or Dextron fluid will be of benefit.
ATF is a very sophisticated product. It must have a stable viscosity over broad operating temperatures. Have excellent lubrication proporties for bearings and gears. Yet, can not contain any extreme pressure additives, i.e., PTFE and MoS2. If too slippery, clutches, bands, and sprags would never hold.
For certain drag race applications, using unique friction material, Castrol type F is frequently used. This has no application in a street/off road C4.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
66horse said:
Just so you know, you can get amsoil at offraod warehouse. Not sure if theya re involved in the multi level marketing, jsut thought Iw ould let you know.

Yes, they are involved in the multi-level marketing thing. They would have to be in order to be a distributor of their product. The have a "preferred customer" thing where you pay 20 bucks a year and then you get dealer price on all the products. I don't like the multi-level marketing thing either so I am switching to Redline when I change the oil on my Bronco.

Shubyjames

Loc.
Tunkhannock, PA
Type F was originally formulated for asbestos composition friction materials, clutches and bands. Current production friction materials as manufactured by both BorgWarner and Raybestos no longer contain asbestos. So, using a current spec Mercon or Dextron fluid will be of benefit.
ATF is a very sophisticated product. It must have a stable viscosity over broad operating temperatures. Have excellent lubrication proporties for bearings and gears. Yet, can not contain any extreme pressure additives, i.e., PTFE and MoS2. If too slippery, clutches, bands, and sprags would never hold.

Well said;)

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Re: fluid

VT_Don said:
For certain drag race applications, using unique friction material, Castrol type F is frequently used. This has no application in a street/off road C4.

Vt Don,
Glad to see that you have become a member of the message board. You have contributed a lot and I have learned a lot from your posts.
This is one area where I have to disagree somewhat. My choice will continue to be type F for the C-4 as long as it remains available. Dexrons and Mercons both have friction modifiers that change shift characteristics to a smoother application of friction materials (ie. clutches and bands). Newer formulas containing friction modifiers will cause the transmission to have softer shifts but the chemical properties are made to withstand and remain stable in more severe temperature conditions. The newer formulas designed for electronic transmissions also have the absence of Zinc, which is vital for longer gear, bushing, and bearing life. Type F fluid cannot take the heat like the newer formulas and will require changing more often, but I am willing to make that choice for firmer shifts and longer life of the components that have constant metal to metal contact. I can compensate for some heat breakdown with the addition of a transmission auxiliary cooler.

~BH

OP
OP
utahmike

utahmike

Loc.
Spanish Fork
Is there anyone who can tell me of problems they have had by running Mobil 1 ATF in thier C4? If not i think i will go with it. If i have any problems i will let you know. Also i wouldnt mind a softer shift i have a hard shifting shift kit in it and 1st to 2nd is pretty fast and hard. would that (shift kit) have any bearing on Mobil 1 or type F?

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I just ran across an ad for B&M synthetic Trick Shift trans fluid and it specifically states that it meets Ford Type F requirements. if I were going to go sythetic in the auto trans, I would go this route. They are quite proud of the stuff at $8.25/quart but I think it is probably worth it.

66horse

Bronco Guru
74bronc said:
Yes, they are involved in the multi-level marketing thing. They would have to be in order to be a distributor of their product. The have a "preferred customer" thing where you pay 20 bucks a year and then you get dealer price on all the products. I don't like the multi-level marketing thing either so I am switching to Redline when I change the oil on my Bronco.

Royal Purple guy myself. Well at least in the Bronco.

The Expedition has Mobile 1 but will get Royal Purple at the next change.