• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can the steering column be removed without removing the shift arms?

69_Sport

Can the steering column be removed without removing the shift arms? I need to remove the column to replace the missing column rubber boot and bracket. It looks like the arms will not fit through the hole in the firewall?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Arms will fit through the hole if you remove the lower column bracket in the engine bay (attached to the firewall with three bolts).

However, you're going to have to disassemble most of the column to replace the rubber boot anyway. Shift arms still won't have to come out, but the steering wheel, shift collar, shifter, turn signal lever, and possibly the turn signal switch all have to come off to get the boot and bracket to slide over the column.

OP
OP
69_Sport

69_Sport

It's no wonder then why the previous owner left the boot and bracket off....

I have a new wiring harness/turn signal switch for the column, as well as a new steering wheel and turn signal lever. So I will have it apart anyway. Was just wondering if I could get the column out without removing the shift arms. Sounds like I can.

Now I'm wondering if I should replace anything else on the column while I have it out?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The shift lever housing is known to break so check it over really good since you will have it off. Wild Horses has some very good video on their site for column repair.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
OP
OP
69_Sport

69_Sport

The boot only goes on from the bottom of the steering column so the shift arms have to come out to get it on. The bracket that gets bolted to the windshield support under the dash is welded onto the column at the passenger end of the column, the rubber boot is not going to slide over this.

http://cdn.wildhorses4x4.com/images/uploads/11721_4542_large.jpg

Yeah, that makes sense.

The Wild Horses Ididit video does a good job of showing how to remove the column. Thanks for posting!

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I just split the boot on the bottom side. There is a clamp that holds it to the support that will keep it together. Also the screws on the fire wall will help keep it together as well. Then you do not have to dis assemble the column.