• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Capping off the cage with 3/16" plate

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I got a great deal on a 4'x8' sheet of 3/16" ($50) so I couldn't pass it up.
I will cap off the top of my cage (above drivers/pass only) I have 2 center bars so I'll be making 2 raised caps. I'll cut the corners of the plate inwards and bend the edges downwards to make bubble caps. This will not only beef up the cage but will keep from sinking in sand, mud and keep rocks/ sticks from tearing my head off in a roll over.
My dad's buddy broke his neck not to long ago in his Bronco when he rolled. He actually flipped over and sunk in mud which crushed him.
This is gunna add about 60# (just a guess) up high which sucks but for the protection I feel its well worth it. I'll be adding some plate to the side cross bar that pass's thru the door way to keep sicks from going thru the ribs also.
I'll post some picts when finished...

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
That sounds Cool. I think I am going to do something simular. I have been debating back and forth on using plate or some sort of mesh.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Is this aluminum or steel? I'm guessing alum from your weight estimate.
I used 1/8" aluminum before and it worked out very well. Everyone thought it would make the passenger compartment like an oven in the summer. It did nothing of the sort. Steel would have I bet.

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
bronko69er said:
Are you the same guy that I bought the D30 from at burger king?
Yup thats me, how did the axle work out? Was there a locker and good gears inside?

I'm using steel so it might be heavier than stated. After cutting the 5x4 piece it seemed around 80# but I won't be using all of it. I thought about using aluminum but wanted steel so I can weld it to the cage for some extra beef. I run a fiberglass half cab so sun heat shouldn't be a problem.
Did you drill and tap the cage to attach the aluminum?
Was thinking of doing that for the side plates so I can get under the dash still.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
14Ga is plenty for a rock top, if you're talking steel. Paint it a reflective color, white or silver to keep it from cooking in the summer.

I'd go 11ga or 3/16 in aluminum.

3/16 steel is holy cow heavy.:eek:

I'm figuring on a 5x8 piece to completely cover my rig, and I'll work out something to go between the windshield and the rock top to cover that gap, and keep out any summer showers.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Gummi Bear said:
I'm figuring on a 5x8 piece to completely cover my rig, and I'll work out something to go between the windshield and the rock top to cover that gap, and keep out any summer showers.
Aluminum or steel? Either way, I bent mine at the windshield and bolted it to the bikinitop riser.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep in mind that your EB body is mostly 18-20 gage and while it will dent when leaned on sufficiently, tearing it takes some effort. If your rock top is securely fastened to the cage, whether with weld or rivets or dzus fasteners or whatever, steel or aluminum should do the job.

When my cage is finished this winter it will get a 11 Ga (.120") aluminum rocktop. Decent strength to weight ratio at a reasonable cost. Plus, it naturally resists corrosion and won't need to be painted necessarily but will reflect sunlight and heat fairly well. :cool:

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
broncow72 said:
Aluminum or steel? Either way, I bent mine at the windshield and bolted it to the bikinitop riser.

Most likely aluminum. I'm planning to have it stop at the spreader at the windshield, and it will fit under the hard top.

It sounds weird, but I think it'll work great. I've considered using some fabric like SaddleUp uses on his covers, and I've also thought about using neoprene. It's all going to depend on what I can come up with locally, and how difficult it is to sew. I'm thinking of fastening it to the rocktop with industrial Velcro.

I'd like to see how you did yours though, it may be a good solution for what I'm wanting to do. Got pics?

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Gummi Bear said:

I'd like to see how you did yours though, it may be a good solution for what I'm wanting to do. Got pics?
No, I have disassembled everything for my new mods...
But my method would not work with a hard top. I went with it because I lived in So. Cal. and there isn't any rain there. Or at least I thought. Made for some fun drives through the mountains to get to the desert in winter.

I would think Dzus fasteners would be your friend in this application though.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I agree, 3/16 is really heavy.
My top is 22 gauge aluim. all its ment to it is keep the sun off me, and keep small stuff from coming in the cabin.
If you want to keep large stuff, like rocks and what not, from coming in the cabin, add more bars to your cage.
The 1/8 wall tube on your cage is harder to bend then a 5' peice of 3/16 plate.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Gears are fine but no locker. Still haven't decided what gears I want to go in the rear though. To be continued...... Is there a local EB group that gets together at all? I've been itching to get out. I know PSVB has been pretty silent for a while.

jmaples

Loc.
SEATTLE,
Wheeling this Sunday

bronko69er said:
Gears are fine but no locker. Still haven't decided what gears I want to go in the rear though. To be continued...... Is there a local EB group that gets together at all? I've been itching to get out. I know PSVB has been pretty silent for a while.

I'm going up this Sunday.
Jmaples

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I was planning on making 2ea 24x31 bubble tops for each side since I have 2 cross bars. Reason I want to bubble them upwards instead of flat is I want the extra head room. I could use bent bars but don't have a bender and I'll get more height out of the plate on top of the cage. My cage is 1" lower than it should be and I did this on purpose when I built it but haven't lowerd the seats yet :p . I was going to use 1/8" but it looked like I could kick a dent in that stuff. A buddy of mine tears down airplanes occationally so I could wait for some 3/16" or 1/4" alum. I'll give the steel a try first when I get a chance (women's been after be being in the garage for 3 nights now %) ). I'm so close to drive. I'll have drivelines in by Friday ;D

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
Gummi Bear said:
Most likely aluminum. I'm planning to have it stop at the spreader at the windshield, and it will fit under the hard top.

It sounds weird, but I think it'll work great.

I have been planning the same thing. I'm going to have four plates of aluminum, one for each quadrant of the family cage. And rather than "permanently" attaching them to the roll bar, I was thinking that I'd cut two slots at the sides, then use stainless hose clamps to hold each piece to the cage. That way I can take off just the front passenger plate when my wife wants the sun to shine through. Or I can take off just the back plates if the kids want some sun. Or obviously I could take them all off and not have any holes in or nuts welded to the cage. It probably sounds kinda ghetto, but I think it will work out nicely. I may look into the Dzus fasteners too.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
FerrumCampitor said:
I have been planning the same thing. I'm going to have four plates of aluminum, one for each quadrant of the family cage. And rather than "permanently" attaching them to the roll bar, I was thinking that I'd cut two slots at the sides, then use stainless hose clamps to hold each piece to the cage. That way I can take off just the front passenger plate when my wife wants the sun to shine through. Or I can take off just the back plates if the kids want some sun. Or obviously I could take them all off and not have any holes in or nuts welded to the cage. It probably sounds kinda ghetto, but I think it will work out nicely. I may look into the Dzus fasteners too.

I'm planning to weld tabs, and punch square holes in the roof plate. I don't necessarily want to remove it.

You may want to look closely at how Lee's is attached with the Dzus fasteners. It's configured kind of like you're describing, that few wouldn't break the bank, you'd just have to weld some tabs on your cage.

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Yeah, my buddy said to weld a bunch of nuts on top of the cage and attach alum flat plate. It would work but I'd have air gaps at the top which isn't a big deal I just want to try to bend the steel for more strength. Its more of "let see what happens...", so yeah it might be a waste of time but at least I'll know.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
68 Broncoholic said:
Yeah, my buddy said to weld a bunch of nuts on top of the cage and attach alum flat plate. It would work but I'd have air gaps at the top which isn't a big deal I just want to try to bend the steel for more strength. Its more of "let see what happens...", so yeah it might be a waste of time but at least I'll know.

Try putting some thin adhesive backed weatherstripping on top of the cage, or on the bottom of the rock top to get it to seal to the cage.

I'd weld tabs, or gussets, with holes to bolt through. That's what I'm planning to do. You can do the same thing with Dzeus fasteners.