• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Car Hauler Rental

Okie69

Contributor
Anyone know of a good place either a chain store or something in middle to north OK that will rent a car hauler trailer. I’m trying to get my ducks in a row for getting the Bronco to OCBR.

Uhaul car haulers are a pain because the built in tire straps don’t work on oversized tires

I can’t buy one right now because of the little blue 4x4 in my garage taking all of my money. 9282A241-7A60-4D12-8C88-3623F4862AEF.jpeg

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Anyone know of a good place either a chain store or something in middle to north OK that will rent a car hauler trailer. I’m trying to get my ducks in a row for getting the Bronco to OCBR.

Uhaul car haulers are a pain because the built in tire straps don’t work on oversized tires

I can’t buy one right now because of the little blue 4x4 in my garage taking all of my money.

OK, so this is kinda funny. You actually asked about a "chain store" when I am going to recommend that you go to a "chain" store!

I own an 18 foot dovetail flatbed car hauler. But when I take long trips...I prefer to rent from u-haul. And since their tire straps don't work with 35's. I park on top of them, and the 35's keep them from flapping in the wind. Then I take my DOT chains and binders...and bind the Bronco to the trailer in 4 locations.

(I will admit that I have deflated 33's and managed to get the straps over the tires...but they fell off after 100 miles, and that was not good. Turns out that the safety chain is actually kinda useful...and I'll never do THAT again.)

So my advice is to secure your Bronco to a U-haul trailer using your own chains, straps, and binders on the axles.

helo-mech

OK, so this is kinda funny. You actually asked about a "chain store" when I am going to recommend that you go to a "chain" store!

I own an 18 foot dovetail flatbed car hauler. But when I take long trips...I prefer to rent from u-haul. And since their tire straps don't work with 35's. I park on top of them, and the 35's keep them from flapping in the wind. Then I take my DOT chains and binders...and bind the Bronco to the trailer in 4 locations.

(I will admit that I have deflated 33's and managed to get the straps over the tires...but they fell off after 100 miles, and that was not good. Turns out that the safety chain is actually kinda useful...and I'll never do THAT again.)

So my advice is to secure your Bronco to a U-haul trailer using your own chains, straps, and binders on the axles.

Same here. I use my own straps and chain binders on u-hual trailers a few times. I prefer a Penske trailer, used them for cross country moves, but you have to pull it with a Penske truck.

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
Thanks for the replies guys! That’s a good idea with the Uhaul.

Since the guys on here are so awesome I might have found room on a trailer that’s already headed to OCBR. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, best group of car or truck enthusiasts on the internet!

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
just use your own straps with the Uhaul trailer and tell them you are towing a 1999 Ford Taurus because sometimes they will deny a Bronco.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
watch the width of axles and oversize tires with rental trailers one time I had to put my squirreled away stock tires and rim to fit on the trailer. then I had to find room for the tires I took off.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
When you go see about renting a Uhaul don't tell them you have a Bronco with oversize tires. If they hear that most Uhaul stores won't rent it to you. Like said earlier tell them you're hauling a Toyota or a Honda or another mini car. Then use your own straps to tie it down. Been there and done that. Works great.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
A lot of places don't know the difference between an early Bronco & a full sized Bronco, & don't want to rent their trailer for a full sized Bronco. But usually they have no issues with a Bronco 2. Which sounds just like Bronco too. As in "I would like to rent a trailer for my Bronco too".

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hope you get it figured out and look forward to seing ya

bigjhoov

nobody
You can find individuals that will rent trailers on craigslist or marketplace most of the time for $50/day or so.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Depending on the status of my dad's bronco for OCBR, I may have room on my trailer for a second bronco.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess you could get some ford junk yard wheels and tires for the front at least to get it there.

Jarrett h

Loc.
Le Claire, IA
I pulled my bronco w/ 33s on a uhaul trailer across the country using their straps. I would just pick up some additional thick straps.

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
I ended up driving it there! Easy day. But thanks for the replies haha.