• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

carburator help!!

dash8mx

I had mt 75 off road today and any time i got in a nose down position it would cut out. I assume it is flooding and is the stock 2- barrell carb.Other than sefi what can i do? It's real embaressing when a blazer goes back and forth but i stop in the middle.If i go slow it doesn't happen. Anyone hear have b.c.'s q-jet and like it alot.Cause i thought of getting it but had a buddy say they aren't real good carbs either.Any suggestions appreciated. William in va

77beast

Loc.
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
I've been running a holley 600 since 79 in my 77, we did a lot of off rading for years and have never had problems up or down hills, we just rebuilt the carb this year and it's still hanging on...

CG

Loc.
StanWOOD, WA
I am having to buy a new carb this week also, the floats are junk in this one, the whole thing has been rebuilt more than once. (I did it once, and it was obvious it had work done before). I am just going to get the stock motocraft ordered on monday and slap it in there. Gotta pass smog. :-U Let me know what carb you end up getting, I am looking at upgrades after it passes!! <br><br>Amanda :-*

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Q-smack is a good all around carb, especially the one Chuck sells as it has been modded for off road. The new Holley Truck Avenger is a good way to go as it is getting good reviews from Moab this year (have not tried it myself), i have a Holley 600 that has been slightly modded and it does OK, not great but it is awesome on-road and my gas mileage proves it!!<br>The stock 2bbl is supposed to be a good off road carb. Lower the float level and it should work better.

OP
OP
D

dash8mx

[quote author=stevew link=board=5;threadid=9357;start=0#67042 date=1032652859]<br>Try adjusting your floats . I have a stock 2bbl on my trail rig & it works great .<br>[/quote]Not to ask the stupid question but is it self evident when opening it up or how is this accomplished/ Any web sites or references greatly appreciated.And while doing this and rebuilding should i do anything elseto it?

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Looking won't tell you anything , the adjustment is very slight . If you don't have a manual , get one . If you're rebuilding the carb , the kit will provide all the info .