• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carter AFB- good spray or not?

blankenship76

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
Not to hijack your thread, I have a carter AFB carb in the rig I bought, I am wondering how these are for wheeling and overall performance. Sorry to hijack, just don't anything about this manufacturer, and didn't come up with anything in the search.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Back in the day .. I'm really dating myself.. AFB's were all we'd run.. If they had a stumble .. 1st thing we did was either move the pump arm up into the 2nd hole .. Old AFB's had 3 holes ..in the acclerator pump arm it would respond faster in the 2nd hole. Rather in the outside hole ..no 3 .. I don't think I ever put one in the 3rd hole ..

ol gray mare

I'm still running an AFB. I understand they are the same as today's Edelbrocks. The acc pump sprays a mist on mine. It still runs great after 20 years, that is until I try to go on a very steep angle. I like the simplicity of a carb as opposed to the complexity of fuel injection. (does that date me Pappit?). I don't remember much about the 60's.....uhhh, smoke this spaceman...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Carters/edelbrock all the same. parts interchange. You need to have a decent squirt when the throttle is moved any amount. as was said try moving the linkage if that doesnt work you may just need a new acclerator pump assembly as the seal may be worn. its not hard for dirt to enter the accelerator pump area and tear up the seal.

dalba4

Loc.
Socal
I was not able to solve my off idle stumble with a new accel pump, moving to different holes on the pump arm, cleaning the carb, or returning to 190 deg thermostat.

I went to a 500 cfm carter and that solved it.

Mine had something to do with air velocity through the primary ports of the carb.

I run a vacuum gauge in the cab, and I sorted out the ignition first.

I have a manual transmission so the stumble was hard to miss.

Also it is a very simple carb, which is why I choose it over the Holley or Qjet.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Although the culprit can be the accel pump, of course, (all discussed above), I've found the biggest culprit affecting off-idle response to be the metering rod setup. Selecting a rod that has a smaller diameter on the tip step and/or changing the spring on the metering piston to the next stiffer color in the range works the charm in most cases..if the problem was not the accel pump.

And yes..The Edelbrock carb is simply the late 50s vintage design Carter AFB in shiny clothing, nothing more. One of the best carbs ever invented in my humble opinion.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was not able to solve my off idle stumble with a new accel pump, moving to different holes on the pump arm, cleaning the carb, or returning to 190 deg thermostat.

I went to a 500 cfm carter and that solved it.

Mine had something to do with air velocity through the primary ports of the carb.

I run a vacuum gauge in the cab, and I sorted out the ignition first.

I have a manual transmission so the stumble was hard to miss.

Also it is a very simple carb, which is why I choose it over the Holley or Qjet.

yup..a carb that is too large for the engine its sitting on can be a real PITA to get bog-free..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There good carbs if you only use them on flat ground. And I agree big carbs are harder to tune but the key is know how to tune them you can get about any carb to run on any engine if you tune it. acclerator pump nozzle size is reallly where pump tuning comes into play linkage adjustments dont usually make bogs go away. unless it was bogging due to the pump squirt being delayed.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I'm gonna move the accelerator pumparm linkage and see if that affects it... then I'll take it apart and clean the nozzles.

the carb WAS running fine when I got it but after a rebuild it hasn't quite been the same so maybe I didn't set it up the same as it was before...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
might want to double check the float level as well if its to low fuel will not get into the acclerator pump chamber.

ol gray mare

You might also make sure you put the vacuum advance hose on the correct inlet port. Mine is on the passenger side. I've made that mistake before with similar results to what you described.