• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ceramic Header question

FrankSG

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
I purchased a new set of ceramic headers several weeks ago. and noticed that they started to turn white and have lost their shine. Additionally I had got some water on them and noticed that they started rusting where the water landed. I was able to wipe it off.

Can anyone else tell me if they have noticed this type of thing happening to their ceramic headers. Is this normal? I've spoken with Chuck at B.C. Broncos (he's a great guy and has provided me with a lot of helpful advice while building up my Bronco). Chuck told me that I could send them back to him and they would send them back to the manufacture for eval, and that they might be willing to replace them. Is it worth the risk considering the amount of work to get them in and out? Hmmmm??? On the other hand these things cost a lot of money and will they get worse. So that's my dilemma.

Any advice, similar problems, etc... would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited:

wesleydax

if there ceramic coated then no they should not rust, and should not chalk. I had a customer bring a set in to be coated for his bronco. They we supposed to be coated already but were just shiny raw metal.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
They shouldn't even blue....although bluing looks sort of cool.....they shouldn't even blue much less turn white or rust.
Too expensive not to return Bud.

bteutsch

I've heard some of the ceramic coated headers do this, I purchased a set of painted headers from James duff, sent them straight to JET HOT COATINGS in Mississippi. For being 15 years old now they have held up really well. Just now getting a few rust spots. They warranty their work...

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have a set of JBA headers I sent to Jet hot... they are rusting
I have a set of WH ceramic coated headers .. they are rusting

wesleydax

properly coated and cared for ceramic should last a long time. We redo several sets from some of the larger coaters. The main reason we see coating failure is improper or lack of proper prep. The ceramic is a baked on coating that is baked on, and it is no different than wet paint the surface has to be done right so it can bite to it. flaking or rust is an indication of poor prep. The coating is no were near as durable as powder but is excellent for handling high heat. 1600 on polished and 2000 on black if i remember correct. As for taking care of the coating while black, cast and other colors dont require much more than washing with mild soap and water, the polished needs to be cleaned every now and then. there is a polish called cermaglow you can get from summit that does a great job at keeping them bright. we use it as a final polish before they go out. and just like the painted body parts if left dirty they will tarnish and need just a little tlc every now and then.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I always thought the ceramic coated headers were maintenance free and uber tough but I guess they are not. Learn something here at CB everyday.

I have been running Duff chrome headers for 25 years. They have a little rust but are still fine.
Guess I got lucky.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
I'd be disappointed if I spent $600 and they started to rust etc...

What other headers fit simmilarly ...anybody know?

Bloodhound

I have hooker ceramic coated headers on two different rigs and they both rusted and looks like crap. I'm gonna try stainless headers on my next project.

wesleydax

You may be better off getting raw steel and take them to a local coater. the'll be done right and last longer. We have coated stainless though not as much. I guess it depends on the type of stainless.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My Buddy with a '79 and a 460 got those stainless headers. They sort of lost their luster but never rusted. Been on there about 16 years.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I have the SS on one rig and JBA Titanium coated on another. I've been running the SS for a couple years and have had zero complaints. They will discolor due to the high temperature and essentially being raw metal, but will not rust. Steel discolors also and rusts as soon as it gets wet.

I haven't had the JBA's on long and have only brought it up to temperature twice. There was no dis-coloring of the tubes and they cooled off faster than any I have seen, very impressed with them so far.

Jim W.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I've heard some of the ceramic coated headers do this, I purchased a set of painted headers from James duff, sent them straight to JET HOT COATINGS in Mississippi. For being 15 years old now they have held up really well. Just now getting a few rust spots. They warranty their work...

Wait huh wth? Jet hots in MS......WHERE????

bteutsch

Maybe they moved.. I sent mine somewhere in Mississippi.. I only see a North Carolina location and a Oklahoma location now.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I also bought the coated headers from a vendor and they started flaking and rusting within a month. A couple friends sent theirs out to jet hot and they are still nice. They dicolored,a little after playing in some mud. I have a 72 suburban that came with thorley stainless headers. I've had it a couple years and they still look real good.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have hooker ceramic coated headers on two different rigs and they both rusted and looks like crap. I'm gonna try stainless headers on my next project.

My WH stainless after 13 years. Given, there has been oil leaking onto them which I'm sure has contributed over the years.

IMG_5606_zpsus5v8usi.jpg

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
That'll buff out;D;D

Jim W.

I know you're joking with the "oughtta buff right out" line, but I think they really will clean up fairly nicely once I go get a stainless steel wire brush.

Might not look new again, but should look a lot better.