• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

check these pics out and advice (body work)

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
I discovered a large amount of bondo on the driver's 1/4 panel and proceeded to operate since im doing the floors anyhow....all advice is welcome!!

OP
OP
El Jefe

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Sr.Bronco link=board=5;threadid=18060;start=0#msg138083 date=1054426308]
I discovered a large amount of bondo on the driver's 1/4 panel and proceeded to operate since im doing the floors anyhow....all advice is welcome!!
[/quote]
stupid me hasn't figured out how to upload the jpegs....

OP
OP
El Jefe

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
http://community.webshots.com/photo/74484465/74484713dLkVaE

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Oh yeah, we're rolling now. Quite the beauty queen you have there. Being from N.Y. most of the broncos I see look like that. That quarter panel isn't too hard to fix. I could make a panel for that area pretty easily, but then again... I work in a body shop. Your best bet would probably be to buy one of those aftermarket quarters for $90 and use what you need. I have heard they don't fit all that well as a whole panel but using just a part might be just what you need. Use a flanging tool to put a little step on your old quarter panel and section in what you need. That area is pretty easy to get to the back side of so you can seal up the back side of your repair and cover it with some undercoating / rustproofing.

OP
OP
El Jefe

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
well originally i was thinking of 'restoring' her as close as possible back to stock, maybe a mild lift but now am strongly considering rear flares and a bit more uumph to her.... so you recommend flanging the old sheet metal? I cut it flush with the rear post...

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
A flange would be good if you are not a real good welder, it would make it easier. If you use a aftermarket quarter, use the whole end right around the corner and into the door opening. I don't know if you understand what I'm talking about, but it really isn't too hard of a job. If you put flares on there it will make it easier yet. You will only have to do some bodywork right ahead of that front gas tank filler. Good luck with it.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are a few pics of what i did. I'd do what 2Bad suggested and then replace the door posts, inner rocker, rocker, kick panel, inner fender as needed. It is a lot of work, but well worth it to get rid of the rust and bondo. Let us know if we can help.
Good Luck,

Blue71

1054440716_Im000030.jpg

1054440749_Im000024.jpg

1054440915_Im000028.jpg

OP
OP
El Jefe

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
cool! did you make those panels yourself? I wonder if i can make my own outer rockers with a 18" brake i picked up today from Harbor Freight. The curved segments at the door jamb is what i need to salvage, any advice on how to fab them? thanks for the help! i'll be welding tomorrow all day.... ;D

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the panels (inner rockers, door posts, kick panel and inner front fender from Jeff's. I was gonna get the OEM style rockers but nobody will have them in until Fall even though they are advertising them. I would say you could bend the rockers with the break if you get the right measurements. Looks like you could get a piece of metal to weld in the spot on the quarter panel rear post area. Might have to grind it good.

Let me know how it goes and send pics.

Good Luck,

Blue71

djhudson

Loc.
Perryville, Missouri
How is the 1/4 panel seam at the top of the 1/4. If it is rusty you might have to replace the entire panel. If it is solid I would do like 2bad said and flange the panel and weld in a patch. I had to use aftermarkets on mine an it was a headache all the way . The drivers side I had to re bend the lips because the panel was to long. As for Rockers I ordered a set of 3 sided aftermarkets from Jeff's. They need to be trimmed at the top alittle but they fit and look good. I wiil have to cut the turned up ends from my old ones and weld them in though. I have had the OEM ones on back order since last Oct. and was tired of the " They'll be ready this month, they'll be ready next month" runaround stories.

flousberg

Where did you get the floor panels. Do they go all the way up to the vertical part of the firewall?

Thanks

72BlueBronco

I'm not much of a body man but, what I can say is WOW :eek: you've got some work there.
I'm glad someone knows how to do that stuff to keep the EB breed alive :D

OP
OP
El Jefe

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
[quote author=knoxbronc link=board=5;threadid=18060;start=15#msg138406 date=1054518829]
Where did you get the floor panels. Do they go all the way up to the vertical part of the firewall?

Thanks
[/quote]

Got the floor pans from Jeff's; my friendly local Early Bronco Parts store ;) - and they do go up to the firewall..

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, Jeff's is where I got mine too. They go up a little past my firewall so i had to cut a few inches off.

Blue71