• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Circuit testing 101-- for the electrically retarded

docfresh

Loc.
Marietta
Well, I am having an issue with the brake bulbs remaining on after the ignition is off.

Can someone explain to me where to begin? If I am looking to check a ground, which probe goes where? I have the wiring diagram, but not sure how to use the equipment. %)

I apologize in advance for such a remedial question. Would prefer not to have to go back to the mechanic AGAIN...;D

Thanks!
Renee

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Well, I am having an issue with the brake bulbs remaining on after the ignition is off.

Brake lights or running lights?

Your brake switch might be sticking, brake lights work key off.

Running lights work with the key off as well, those are controlled by the headlight switch.

To your original question, black (-) usually goes to ground and red to "hot" or positive (+). In the case of a test lamp, it doesn't matter, power is "passing through" the tester.

OP
OP
docfresh

docfresh

Loc.
Marietta
Brake lights or running lights?

To your original question, black (-) usually goes to ground and red to "hot" or positive (+). In the case of a test lamp, it doesn't matter, power is "passing through" the tester.

Hey-- it would be the running lights actually, very faint glow of bulb-- sometimes right, sometimes left, sometimes both! Enough to run the battery down. The light switch is off and the key out of the ignition.

Thanks Travis

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
In the head light switch mak sure that the knob is not turned all the way to the left as thats inside lights and is live with the key off.

OP
OP
docfresh

docfresh

Loc.
Marietta
In the head light switch mak sure that the knob is not turned all the way to the left as thats inside lights and is live with the key off.

OK, just checked that. Not all the way to the left. Didn't know that about the light switch though...

I am just having to disconnect the two wiring connections to the drivers side of the gas tank to keep the bulbs from staying on when not driving.

Thanks Rustytruck