• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cleaned out the chimney(frame) today

Jedeka

Contributor
I made a trip to Menards to find something to clean out the inside of my frame. Found this rotary chimney cleaning system with quick-connect whip lines and a drill adapter. If someone has used this before and had a post about it, I didn’t see it. I had a 6” steel flue ball that I was going to try a pull thru the frame, but couldn’t get it to go into the frame, even after I trimmed down some of the metal wire. After a few passes down each frame channel with this rotary cleaner, I couldn’t believe the mess on the floor. I will replace the strings and grab a new battery for the drill and hit both channels again. This is making quick work out of this job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
J

Jedeka

Contributor
Squirrels secret stash.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 160

samamarshall

Yeah I used a dryer vent cleaning rod and brush, works similarly, bought a steel chimney brush first, but it was like 6 or 7 inches and the metal didn't flex enough to fit. Worked really well along with running water through it to push the dirt out

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used one of the kittens from a feral cat litter and string..... Kidding of course, someone else came up with that one.

Oven cleaner at a self car wash. Man I got some weird looks.

Make sure to coat the inside, I used the Eastwood internal frame paint, colored greenish chromate, looks great, like a WWII tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jedeka

Contributor
I haven’t narrowed a coating for the inside. I will into the Eastwood stuff. Did you coat the inside before or after you did the outside of the frame? Thanks..

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used my HD backpack leaf blower, amazing how much crap was flying out!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven’t narrowed a coating for the inside. I will into the Eastwood stuff. Did you coat the inside before or after you did the outside of the frame? Thanks..

After because it didn't look good after frame was painted, so did it, just had to run along the sides with a rag to wipe up the drips coming out the frame holes.

msmith

Oh this is good. I'm getting close to this point myself. I figured on the KBS system to finish it.

Thanks for sharing this.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I ended up using a ball hone and welded a 10 foot rod to it then pulled it through from both ends until it was pretty clean. I pressure washed the inner frame out and let it dry good. I used an old Schutz gun and adapted an 8 foot 3/8 copper tube to it with a directional tip. I sprayed POR15 into the frame frame both ends. Came out pretty good. Safety warning: make sure to were a good respirator

Attachments

• ball hone.png
    ball hone.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 13
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 17